Turbo trainer q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slower than you

Slower than you

Thanks for everyone’s help that’s really appreciated! Your people in the know: I’m ganna see if I can sort that one instead.

OP
OP
Slower than you

Slower than you

So I’ve used it 3 x now. It’s been good so far and to feel the resistance change automatically. Find it strange looking at screen but does help pass the time. Together with some music and so far so good. Any tips on average cadence and power to keep or how to use ? Much appreciated

Last edited:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
With regard to cadence I find I can maintain 80 and above fairly well on any course selected, now that I have the gearing that allows me to do so, normally I sit around 85. You need to find what works for you. But most of the good riders here are doing 90+ most of the time and 100+ when racing :ohmy:.

Power wise is whatever you can generate, as you improve the power will go up.

If you don't have one already, use a HRM (heart rate monitor). I find it is very helpful in finding if I am running well or not so good and setting my riding level accordingly.

The most important thing is to find what works for you and enjoying it.

kipster

Guru
So I’ve used it 3 x now. It’s been good so far and to feel the resistance change automatically. Find it strange looking at screen but does help pass the time. Together with some music and so far so good. Any tips on average cadence and power to keep or how to use ? Much appreciated

Cadence will depend on a number of factors (genetics, route profile, leg length / crank length), but general consensus is somewhere between 80 - 100. I do drills at 120, and drills at 70, they serve different purposes. I generally ride on the turbo at 90-95, on the road i’ll be down to 85 averages, but that includes soft pedalling. I like to spin rather than grind, i’m looking for endurance in my ride structure.

Power is power, know where you are (FTP test), figure out where you want to be, then work out how to get there. I’m currently 262w and my son is 215w, the more important bit is that his w/kg is slightly better than mine (3.5 v 3.49). Otherwise, just ride and enjoy, gains will come, if you follow a plan, they should come quicker, but no point if you don’t enjoy it.

Last edited:

nickAKA

Über Member
I was a tad underwhelmed with zwift until I had a go at the workouts; riding round individually is rather dull (until you hit a sprint and decide to put the hammer down anyway) and motivation is absolutely key to getting the best out of it. The workouts will help you find your 'natural' cadence & power output and from there you can build it up & track your improvements - that's the best motivation.
I'm doing the 10-12 week FTP builder, give it a whirl... The ERG mode makes it simple.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I’ve just been through this decision process. I settled on the Wahoo KICKR Snap but initially started looking at the Elite Qubo, then the Elite Rampa (bigger flywheel), then I think I was drawn to the Bkool Smart Pro 2... my mate swung it in the end as he bought the KICKR and I figured we wouldn’t be able to make any power excuses if we both have the same hardware lol.

I’m also planning to use this for injury rehabilitation. I can’t fully use my knee yet but I have been able to spin the pedals in the last few days (suspected torn ACL)

Have fun!

kipster

Guru
I was a tad underwhelmed with zwift until I had a go at the workouts; riding round individually is rather dull (until you hit a sprint and decide to put the hammer down anyway) and motivation is absolutely key to getting the best out of it. The workouts will help you find your 'natural' cadence & power output and from there you can build it up & track your improvements - that's the best motivation.
I'm doing the 10-12 week FTP builder, give it a whirl... The ERG mode makes it simple.
Bimbling around on your own is good from time to time, but as you've found the real benefits come from plans. It's worth trying out the group workouts and many swear by races (i still haven't done one). I'm currently running both Zwift and TrainerRoad at the same time, TrainerRoad to control the turbo in ERG mode, and zwift to give me something to look at while i'm hurting.

nickAKA

Über Member
Join in the social club rides Zsun,Kiss,WBR all do them. Also racing is (for me) a great buzz and pushes your limit

That's the plan when I'm a bit fitter! I'd like to jump straight in but I don't think I'd be able to keep up at the moment...

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Bimbling around on your own is good from time to time, but as you've found the real benefits come from plans. It's worth trying out the group workouts and many swear by races (i still haven't done one). I'm currently running both Zwift and TrainerRoad at the same time, TrainerRoad to control the turbo in ERG mode, and zwift to give me something to look at while i'm hurting.
Racing is what has helped me improve massively. Blasting off the line, pushing way over ftp power for minutes, just to hold on to a group. Then settling in at a nice tempo pace. The odd big increase in power to chase down a break, or when dropped to get back on the group. Followed by the sprint to the line...
. I say sprint, but these start a good 2 km out so it's more high ftp riding.

In all I can hold higher numbers longer, but more importantly I can then recover enough to do it again and again if required.

40 km races are brilliant work outs on both Zwift and bkool :okay:

nickAKA

Über Member
Did one of the 'social' rides this morning... Social my arse! Half the field flew away at double the w/kg but I stuck rigidly in the middle of the peloton, it was good! I would have done another this evening but my sit bones have finally surrendered...

OP
OP
Slower than you

Slower than you

So since buying the setup I have done around 2-3 rides a week (massive improvement from 0 for far too long). . As I said, i bought it to help Start get myself moving following my injury. I can see improvement but still using the trial clips from the Tacx software. I like the parts where there are other riders. Happy to keep going with this for now as I can’t see how riding anyone else would be beneficial at this stage due to my fitness... can anyone recommend a good way of breaking back in using a bit of a strategy or which program for price considering it’s more for rehab st the mo?

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Trainer road is much more structured workouts. Set a low FTP and choose base builder program sessions. If you're stronger it will adjust FTP to your current strength and adjust all future workouts. But if you find one particular workout hard use the arrow up/downs keys on your keyboard to reduce the intensity a little

Top Bottom