Turbo trainer q

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slower than you

after an injury and break from the sport, I’ve been told I can start on a turbo trainer now thankfully...

I bought the Tacx Satori Smart Turbo Trainer to start building up but wondering if perhaps I should return and get the elite qubo digital b+ smart or the kinetic road Machine 2.0 ?

Does anyone have any tips?
Thanks

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Also check out the offerings from Wahoo and apps like TrainerRoad.

CXRAndy

Guru
A turbo trainer that is smart IE variable resistance with gradient, erg mode feature, True power meter. Will give you an immersive ride on Trainer-Road, Zwift, Bkool, BigRingVR

That is how I got into indoor training, injury, rehabilitation then indoor (Wahoo Kickr) trainer. In fact I like it so much I do probably 85% of my riding indoors.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The smart trainers are good for things like zwift but if you want to use it to do intervals you dont have the ability to adjust the resistance .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That is where having a smart trainer that also has ERG mode. It will set the power level and whatever cadence you choose the resistance will be correct.
I bet its cheaper to have two turbos than one with ERG mode :eek:

OP
OP
Slower than you

Slower than you

So are we saying the manual resistance is actually better? I’d prefer to spend less but if I’m aleeady spending 200 wondering if should pay an extra 80 for the resistance.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Virtually all Smart trainers that are variable resistance with simulator have ERG aswell.
So are we saying the manual resistance is actually better? I’d prefer to spend less but if I’m aleeady spending 200 wondering if should pay an extra 80 for the resistance.

It really depends on what type of training you plan to do and continue to do.

If you just want to spend 30mins turning your legs over in the garage with no interactive involvement, get the cheapest wheel on turbo

If you plan to ride on the likes of Zwift, TrainerRoad. Get the best Trainer Kickr, Neo, Drivio. That way it will adjust to gradients have proper power reading and ERG. The gradient adjust will feel very road like. The graphics and other riders will drive you onto pushing harder for longer.

Zwift has everything, racing,social, solo, training plans and enough to ride for multi hours

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It depends what you want the turbo for . I had a manual one but bought a smart trainer to use with zwift . It was when i tried doing intervals while on zwift i realized it wasnt going to work . Trying to do 150rpm while zwift takes you up hill is very hard work :laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru
It depends what you want the turbo for . I had a manual one but bought a smart trainer to use with zwift . It was when i tried doing intervals while on zwift i realized it wasnt going to work . Trying to do 150rpm while zwift takes you up hill is very hard work :laugh:

Trainer road would suit you more for specific drills. Saying that choosing the right course on Zwift will help when doing their training plans, like Richmond or London loops

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I guess you could always not plug the smart trainer in and use the bikes gears to adjust the resistance .

OP
OP
Slower than you

Slower than you

Thanks everyone. This is really helpful... I’m having trouble choosing beteeen the tacx satori, elite qubo digital b+ smart and lastly the kinetic road machine 2.0?

my wife thinks to get satori and only upgrade if I find it’s worthwhile...

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Thanks everyone. This is really helpful... I’m having trouble choosing beteeen the tacx satori, elite qubo digital b+ smart and lastly the kinetic road machine 2.0?

my wife thinks to get satori and only upgrade if I find it’s worthwhile...
The Satori isnt fully smart , its just bluetooth so you will have to do the resistance manually . You would be better off with the flow ( i have both ) The Satori will work with zwift ( and others i guess ) but you wont get the full zwift experience .
Looks like the flow is on sale again at Halfords http://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/tacx-flow-t2240-smart-turbo-trainer

Top Bottom