Turbo Trainer Wheel question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alvintc

Veteran
Morning all, HNY & all that jazz!

Quick (!) question, I want to put my commuter on the turbo – Problem is during winter I run CX tyres (my winter commute takes me along tracks, summer its road based).

I can’t be bothered changing tyres each time I want to put the bike on the TT. So I’m thinking a cheap 2nd wheel is the way forward. Now comes the fun – my commuter runs mavic aksium discs (shimano 11speed). I’ve been trying to find a cheap disc wheel but can’t seem to find anything that suits.

Anyone with suggestions? Do I even need a disc? I won’t be touching the brake on the TT anyway so can I just run any 700c wheel?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No you need a rear wheel with 135mm spacing ie: disc brake specific wheel. I would even go as far as a brake block in the caliper if hydro, just to be on the safe side (I do this due to the position of my trainer setup)

Not too difficult to find an Aksium rear wheel on its own, no reason why it has to be maviv though, whatever is cheapest

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alvintc

Veteran
bugger. (but many, many thanks for the info!)

Ah well - anyone with any recommendations? Ideally cheap as chips as adding disc/ cassette/ tyre racks up the costs!

Sharky

Guru
Why not go for an idential set of wheels? One with your winter tyres and one with your summer tyres on. Then compatibility will be gauranteed and on those days when you wake up and find the PF has been busy overnight, a quick swap and your commute wont be held up.

OP
OP
A

alvintc

Veteran
As soon as lighter weather kicks in (and cage drivers are slightly less homicidal!) I switch to road tyres (& they stay on there for the season). I'm really only looking for something purely for the TT as switching tyres for a session takes too long.

I could just get another aksium, but bye the time I've added all the bits - I'm not a million miles aware from direct drive trainer... really am just trying to do this on the budget options!

For my old turbo I used a wheel that was beginning to show signs of rim wear and unshipped the brakes; it lasted fine and I never planned to put it on road again anyway. You'll just need to find a wheel that fits your frame any old wheel will do as long as it fits.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Don't forget to get a cassette as well unless you want the hassle of changing that around! Depending on your existing cassettes and chains wear, (i.e. they may be worn) you may need to change these if the new cassette slips on the old chain.

Top Bottom