Turbo Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Pipe down, you pointless individual. The forum for those who don't want to train is here - http://www.floristnews.co.uk/ - meanwhile, please allow those who want to talk seriously about indoor training to go about their business without being molested by the 'wah, wah, I don't like turbos' brigade.
MOD NOTE

@I like Skol post was not out of context with the OP he was merely giving an alternative view which everyone on here is entitled to do plus Glasgow44 second post said his concern was about what to do in the bad weather.

Also derogatory remarks about other members will not be tolerated. You reported the post so let's the mods deal with it.

So if anyone needs to "pipe down" it's you on this occasion.

potsy

Rambler
But I wouldn't expect you to understand that
He just wouldn't let it lie :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I cycle commute all year round about 3 days a week typically and those days are not dictated by weather but by family commitments. I think a fair estimate would be that I only get rained on for perhaps 10-15% of those days despite living in sunny Manchester. I do get really caught out sometimes though and arrive home feeling like a drowned rat (soggy underpants and squelchy shoes) 3-4 times a year but on the whole it isn't too bad and fear of the weather is much worse than the weather itself.
I was a student in Manchester and used to walk to (and from) the university from my flat. I used to go home for lunch 4 days a week and the other day was a half day. It was a 1.5 mile walk. So that is approximately 3 (years) x 30 (academic weeks a year) x 18 (1.5 mile walks a week). I only got soaked a handful of times in those 1,500+ walks! So Manchester may be a soggy city, but it isn't THAT soggy at the times I used to be out and about which were normal commuting times and lunch times.

PS I have now read further on in the thread and observed what happened next! :eek: I got what you were saying and was following on from that.

As for turbo trainers ... I have a Tacx in my kitchen with a bike permanently attached and will be using that whenever I don't like the look of the weather! :okay:

Last edited:

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I had a cyclops fluid trainer for about 20 years before the seals gave up. I use a Jet Black gel type one now.
I see nothing wrong with your choice. The fluid/gel type trainers tend to mimic road riding better than pure mag ones. The load on a mag is linear - like climbing a hill and the others are more like riding against a wind which increases non-linearly.
I know from using pedal based power meters and a speedo on the back wheel, my Jet Black is within 1mph of the road.
If you are serious about being fit then they are ideal. Look round your local area and see if there any clubs running turbo sessions. I ran them over the winter in the northeast for 5 years. Our other coaches have taken over and run them now. But there are at least two sessions a week by different clubs I know of. I think I posted something on this a long time ago with respect to setting it up properly. A good setup helps keep you motivated. Most people lose interest when they don't see a point in what they are doing.
My turbo also doubles up as my workshop stand. I can adjust the gears with a bit of load on the back wheel to get things right.
I used the turbo last winter to help me take the English national duathlon title, so they have their use at all levels.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Just been reading the '3 worst bike related purchases' thread and it reminded me of this topic due to the multiple mentions of turbo trainers :laugh:

Just for balance, I have skimmed through the longer and opposite thread '3 best purchases' and despite currently having approx double the posts I didn't spot a single mention of a trainer!

Certainly makes you think......
Rectified that, for the sake of balance of course :becool:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Rectified that, for the sake of balance of course :becool:
That will be me proven wrong then..... :rolleyes:

S-Express

Just been reading the '3 worst bike related purchases' thread and it reminded me of this topic due to the multiple mentions of turbo trainers :laugh:

Just for balance, I have skimmed through the longer and opposite thread '3 best purchases' and despite currently having approx double the posts I didn't spot a single mention of a trainer!

Certainly makes you think......
So, a forum largely made up of 'leisure riders' doesn't like turbos - who knew?

The main thing is that those interested in performance /improvement know what they are for.

Last edited:

Doug.

Veteran
I have just bought a Turbo Trainer via e.bay.
The cheapest model and it cost about £45.
It is remarkably similar to the Decathlon equivalent.
I don't like riding in the wet and cold so I keep it in an out buiding with a spare cycle fixed to it. .
Turbo training is not a lot of fun but it does seem affective, as I am tired after a 20 min ride, hope to increase the amount of time of training.
I'm afraid that the main necessity is willpower to keep going.
I'm sure given the above, one will be more "cycle fit" come the good weather.
I have also mounted a spare cycle computer driven of the rear wheel, just so I don't cheat on time and distance
The front wheel remaining stationary.
The above are my findings and opinion and I really do not wish to argue about Turbo Trainers.
I would encourage a keen cyclist to buy one.

postman

Legendary Member
I bought a second hand one from a CC member in Halifax.I love it.At the moment it is set up in the Conservatory,but cannot get to it for the Xmas tree and telly.So next week will be the first visit 2017.Boring not a chance.Boring i will tell you what is boring ,sorting letters to a 48 box fitting,night after night after night.

uclown2002

Guru
I bought a second hand one from a CC member in Halifax.I love it.At the moment it is set up in the Conservatory,but cannot get to it for the Xmas tree and telly.So next week will be the first visit 2017.Boring not a chance.Boring i will tell you what is boring ,sorting letters to a 48 box fitting,night after night after night.

Still 356 days to xmas; got your tree up a bit soon haven't you?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I went down the SMART Trainer route as I hate riding in the garage, but Zwift makes the time pass quickly. Just done a quick 20 miler with a big group. Unfortunately, it's a necessity for me trying to get fit again. I wasn't allowed out on a moving bike for a while.

Personally, commuting is one of the best ways to keep fit, but people kept driving cars into me. :wacko::tongue:

screenman

Legendary Member
How odd it is that some people get bored with the turbo, but the same people may not get bored watching tv or listening to music, but put either together with the turbo and boredom wins.

Top Bottom