Turbo Trainers...Rejoice!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Soooooooooooo...did I mention I really enjoyed the 3LC DVD?
Yes :tongue:

Seamab

Soooooooooooo...did I mention I really enjoyed the 3LC DVD?

I note your dissatisfaction with the Tacx Genius RLV's and your enjoyment of the 3LC. Perhaps the Tacx Ergovideos (section "Training with the Pro's" on the Tacx website) may suit you better. These differ from RLV's in that the power is set by the video and you have to match the power of the riders. Some of them contain intervals of various types/lengths and might be more what you are looking for. In particular the Rabobank and Quickstep Ergos. They are also available for 17.50 euros direct from Tacx which is quite a bit cheaper than most RLV's.

I have the Milan- San Remo RLV which is fairly boring (flat) for the first half but the second half is much better and has a few climbs. I have a Fortius and would agree that it struggles on steeper slopes. However you can use the powermode option on all these rides to increase or decrease slope/power.

Licramite

Über Member
Yes,dying at 137bpm is worth celebrating.

It's funny, you claimed aero bars gave you more power in this very thread,and seem to have forgot about it. More power(W) which you categorically stated, equaled 2-3MPH
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/turbo-trainers-rejoice.126047/#post-2359275
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/turbo-trainers-rejoice.126047/#post-2359286

Once again. You measured something which is highly meaningless,trying to justify it and doing a very poor job. I have a spd/cad sensor on my bike, I use a HRM - I use interactive training software, hell I even use my Edge800.

None of that tech is required and all it can produce is some numbers,some of which have merit depending on how you apply them.

Here are some: 1 - 30 - 17 - 172 - 2013 - 13 - 14 - 0 What to they mean?

You still haven't got this RPE thing I see(or a general clue about training)
actually if you could explain RPE I would be most grateful. as I read it, but it still sounds like herbalism to me. -
no confusion (unless you want it to be)
on a turbo trainer I found aerbars puts me in a really attack postion and increased my pedal speed by 2-3mph.
on hill climbing if gave me more push but has big downsides , or fall off sides actually.

all this fancy kit you have , is it on your turbo trainer?

T.M.H.N.E.T

actually if you could explain RPE I would be most grateful. as I read it, but it still sounds like herbalism to me. -
no confusion (unless you want it to be)
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/borgscale.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_scale
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/rpe.htm
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/exercise/rpe.aspx

on a turbo trainer I found aerbars puts me in a really attack postion and increased my pedal speed by 2-3mph.
on hill climbing if gave me more push but has big downsides , or fall off sides actually.
Dear god.... You pedal in MPH? Every other cyclist pedals in RPM.

all this fancy kit you have , is it on your turbo trainer?
I usually attach it all to the cat to see where he goes at night.

Licramite

Über Member
when you get in your car you think in RpM ?-really. - sorry call me old fashioned. I think in terms of speed not how fast my legs are spinning.
I read all the links - again, read those already- apart from linking to actual heart rate , its still herbal medicine - I will stick to me odometer., mph , and how much I sweat,
1 bucket or 20.

T.M.H.N.E.T

when you get in your car you think in RpM ?-really. - sorry call me old fashioned. I think in terms of speed not how fast my legs are spinning.
I read all the links - again, read those already- apart from linking to actual heart rate , its still herbal medicine - I will stick to me odometer., mph , and how much I sweat,
1 bucket or 20.
I don't know why I bother. Even primary school science terms are beyond you.

MPH: The number of statute miles travelled per hour. 1 mile = 1,609metres 1HR = 60 minutes

RPM:blush:s the frequency of rotation based on a fixed axis in 1minute periods hence the name.

At no point in cycling do your pedals ever travel in MPH, because they can't and nobody measures speed at the pedal. They measure cadence or RPM.

My car, idles around 1200 RPM, at 1200RPM with no gear engaged it cannot cause the car to travel, measured in MPH. Conversely, the speed at which my car can travel is limited by a combination of gearing and RPM of the engine. Example: My car cannot achieve 60MPH @ 1200RPM

Are there any other basics I need to explain to you?

OP
OP
frayBentos59

frayBentos59

Specialized OCD
Thanks seamab, excellent advice thank you. I'll check them out. Although I did order another two 3LC dvd's so I may be some time getting g around to the tacx stuff :smile: thanks for the heads up mate :smile:

vorsprung

Veteran
No - I just don't agree with you.
Watts of power ? - isn't measured on a cycle computer (though I dare say you could find an obscure one that does). Admittedly on a turbo it doesn't matter which parameter your going to measure yourself against, - watts produced, mph - its only an indicator of performance..

On fluid trainers there is a predictable relationship between the "speed" on the trainer and the power. ISTR it isn't entirely linear. Kurt Kinetics make a relatively cheap power meter for their fluid trainers that does the simple calculation for you.
So you are right, speed is perfectly ok as a measure because there is a direct relationship between the two.

Top Bottom