TV favourites from your childhood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bird Brain

Star Trek

Doctor Who

Most of my faves were a bit 'spacey' really... but then there was

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
The Time Tunnel

...so a dose of more general sci-fi in there too.

Definitely.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Most of Gerry and Silvia Andersons. Though I don't really remember "Twizzle" or "Torchy the Battery Boy". "Four Feather Falls" is the first though really got hooked with "Supercar" and Fireball XL5". Watched a couple of episodes on youtube to bring back memories and saw how they progressed with "Stingray" then "Thunderbirds" and "Captain Scarlet". The CGI "Captain Scarlet" is awful compared to the puppets.
I was an avid reader of TV Century 21 (TV21) and got to know about "Star Trek" before it came to British TV.
Too young for the original "Eagle" comic but I remember a version coming out in the early 60's.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I remember some lunchtime trade test transmissions on BBC2. One was John Piper and the stained glass windows of Liverpool's Catholic Cathedral. Another was of an Australian Landtrain. I remember from this the driver and his mate taking the labels off their canned food to make anything they made more interesting.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Mr Benn was my favourite.
Hector's House
Also Fingerbobs. I think that was the programme's name? A classic example of how to make a TV show for under a fiver!

Postman Pat was a bit after my time but I quite liked the Viz version of his song for their Postman Plod character.
To the tune of Postman Pat it went soemthing like

Postman Plod Postman Plod
What a f*ck*ng miserable sod
At lunchtime he gets plastered
What a f*ck*ng bastard
He really is a f*ck*ing miserable c***

If you sing that version when watching Postman Pat with small children, it makes them cry! Ahem, apparently.

I was born in 1984 but have tastes from before then:

The avengers (steed and Mrs Peel)
Dukes of hazard (the film was complete crap)
Ivor the engine
clangers
bagpus
thomas the tank engine
post man pat
trumpton
camberwick green
kettle ship pirates (or was that a book?)
dangermouse
ducktails
chip n' dale rescue rangers
count duckula
Tugs,

can't remember any more at the moment.

I remember some lunchtime trade test transmissions on BBC2. One was John Piper and the stained glass windows of Liverpool's Catholic Cathedral. Another was of an Australian Landtrain. I remember from this the driver and his mate taking the labels off their canned food to make anything they made more interesting.

The BBC2 Colour Trade Test Transmissions were a thing of their time. Remember Evoluon about the Eindhoven science museum? Or the one about electrical safety where the technician went off to the dentists and nearly got electrocuted when he came back and touched a coil that hadn't had its charge dumped?

Most of Gerry and Silvia Andersons. Though I don't really remember "Twizzle" or "Torchy the Battery Boy". "Four Feather Falls" is the first though really got hooked with "Supercar" and Fireball XL5". Watched a couple of episodes on youtube to bring back memories and saw how they progressed with "Stingray" then "Thunderbirds" and "Captain Scarlet". The CGI "Captain Scarlet" is awful compared to the puppets.
I was an avid reader of TV Century 21 (TV21) and got to know about "Star Trek" before it came to British TV.
Too young for the original "Eagle" comic but I remember a version coming out in the early 60's.

The fundamental problem with Captain Scarlet was that you knew he couldn't die. Thus, even as a youngster, I went off it pretty quickly once I realised he could take any risk without fear of popping his puppet clogs.

The one I really couldn't stand was Joe 90!

+1 on TV Century 21 too - I even had the annual for Christmas. The Zero-X episode of Thunderbirds featured in it IIRC.

Top Bottom