TV favourites from your childhood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh no! Illya Kuryakin and Napoleon Solo. I used to watch it round at a friend's house, and sometimes his sister would sit next to me. She was four years older than me. Dreadful, impossible yearnings.:whistle:

Hands up all those who borrowed dad's silver tyre inflation gauge, flipped up the 'antenna' and spoke into it the immortal words: "Open channel B".

:laugh:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
My memory goes back to the days of the 'TV truce' when BBC shut down between 6 &7 in the evening - no ITV in those days! The 'famous' short interval films when live programmes finished slightly earlier than expected; who can ever forget the cat playing with a ball of wool or the potter's wheel?
I remember TV parties where neightbours who were rich enough to have a TV used to invite us less well-off neighbours over to watch certain programmes e.g. the Coronation and FA Cup Finals.
Three programmes that I do remember were:-
Quatermass and The Pit - being allowed to stop up and watch it but I watched most of it from behind the sofa.
The Silver Sword - a Sunday evening serial based on the novel of the same name by Ian Serraillier
The Riddle of the Red Wolf - again a Sunday evening drama - can't remember much about it apart from the fact it scared me!

Watching Wagon Train at my mate Alan's house, I was about 11 at the time, and having Spam butties made with proper Spam (in the blue and yellow can) and real butter. That was the first time I tasted butter - we only had the cheapest Co-op Red Seal margarine although my mum did upgrade it to Silver Seal years later.

Other programmes from those daYs:-
Muffin the Mule
Billy Bean & his funny machine
Four Feather Falls
Amos & Andy
Champion the Wonder Hiorse
My Friend Flicka
The Cisco Kid
Whirlybirds

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I remember and love most of the shows mentioned for peeps of my age (born early 1960s) but I hated Baby Woodentop for some reason, and similarly Bagpuss made me feel uncharacteristically violent
smile.gif

But an unusual one perhaps was the Shadoks (see pic). It was a French cartoon I first saw round a friends house on BBC2... can't remember year, but early 1970s. I only saw it a few times, as I think it coincided with the news on BBC1, but I was enthralled. Some episodes on YouTube.
smile.gif

shadok1.jpg

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 26

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ah, those re-runs in the school holidays of "The Singing Ringing Tree". Could anyone explain what it was all about? - used to freak me out.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
3BM Likes - oo la la, gonna check them out when I get home :smile:

I remember and love most of the shows mentioned for peeps of my age (born early 1960s) but I hated Baby Woodentop for some reason, and similarly Bagpuss made me feel uncharacteristically violent
smile.gif

But an unusual one perhaps was the Shadoks (see pic). It was a French cartoon I first saw round a friends house on BBC2... can't remember year, but early 1970s. I only saw it a few times, as I think it coincided with the news on BBC1, but I was enthralled. Some episodes on YouTube.
smile.gif

shadok1.jpg

Attachments

• smile.gif
    smile.gif
    262 bytes · Views: 30
Ah, those re-runs in the school holidays of "The Singing Ringing Tree". Could anyone explain what it was all about? - used to freak me out.

Me too. Definitely a visual where the mind made up its own story.

In the same re-run vein, there was the dubbed version of Robinson Crusoe too. I must have watched it 4 summers in a row!

Talking of French TV programmes, what was the programme that was based around the French red arrows.

It was badly dubbed into English and I would guess c 1970 and was real action not cartoon.

Funny as I remember not much happend each week (much like most French cinema) but it had the same stock shots of jets whizzing past. Probably off to save the world or a cat in a tree or something.

Anything on ITV...

Tiswas, Magpie etc.

For some reason the girls were more "fun" in the ITV programmes......

Would you ever see Valerie Singleton dressed like this?

jenny_hanley.jpg

Top Bottom