TV Licensing - Bloody Cheek!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I haven't owned a tv for 6 -7 years now.

I simply ignore their letters and veiled threats.
They are common bullies who simply cannot accept that anyone could live without an idiot lantern.

The are the same as vampires BTW, they cannot enter your house unless you invite them over threshold.;)

Aperitif

Meme bar
;) idoit lantern!

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
accountantpete said:
Hang on -i'll just email this to them

:sad:

tdr1nka said:
The are the same as vampires BTW, they cannot enter your house unless you invite them over threshold.;)

Is it ok to use the stake through the heart method if they do get in or is it best to just wave some garlic around?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
What gets me about it is that their 'returnable' letters included a tick box for those who 'don't own tv receiving equipment' to let them know you won't be needing a license and they still come after you.

Sadly it's all part of the guilty until proven innocent attitude not too dissimilar to that of the tax office or revenue collection agency.;)

*Aperitif, found another anagram of idiot lantern, [SIZE=-1] Adorn Lint Tie!:sad:* [/SIZE]

joolsybools

Blooming Crapita again, they get everywhere the govt is involved don't they. They must be in someones pocket. Snouts and troughs anywhere?

Nope, I'm pretty sure you don't need one if you don't use the equipment to watch TV - per your own quote,

You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence.

Nothing there about owning said equipment, just if USE it for live TV.

And, last I checked, you don't need it for iPlayer either.

I also remember hearing about someone who offered to pay even though they didn't have a TV because they enjoyed BBC Radio that much, the TVLicensing people turned down the offer...

Crankarm

Guru
[quote name='swee'pea99']...enclose a note saying if they send another one you'll do it again. Except you'll enclose a house-brick.[/quote]

LoL!!!! :smile::laugh::smile::laugh::laugh:

jeltz

Veteran
I'm sure that plenty of people have been bullied into having a TV licence but only really wanted the ability to watch videos or DVD's. I hope that when digital switch over happens analogue equipment will automatically become exempt from a licence.

Crankarm

Guru
jeltz said:
I'm sure that plenty of people have been bullied into having a TV licence but only really wanted the ability to watch videos or DVD's. I hope that when digital switch over happens analogue equipment will automatically become exempt from a licence.

How many elderly people will be bullied into paying for a TV license for broadcasts they can't even receive as the analogue signal had been switched off and TV licensing won't believe they have not made the switch by getting a free view box and digital aerial because they simply don't understand?

asterix

Comrade Member
Had hassle with the Authorities afew years ago when I bought a vcr for my dad. The guy wrote my address as at number 18 Railway Cuttings instead of number 15 Railway Cuttings. Well of course the Authorities had no record of me having a licence at number 18 so they wrote to me at that address and my neighbour brought the letter round.

I told 'em I'd a licence at number 15 where I lived but they said I also needed a license at number 18 as it was a separate address.:smile:

purplepolly

jeltz said:

:smile: That's me, I used to think about giving up the telly due to lack of use, but didn't want to put up with the harrassment that goes with it. Come the changeover however, it'll be a different matter as the aerial can't recieve digital as it's not going to be upgraded.

thomas

the tank engine
My Mum's been getting these letters. I'm all right, I get a free TV licence with my house I'm renting & moving into next month :smile:

Davidc

Guru
purplepolly said:
:biggrin: That's me, I used to think about giving up the telly due to lack of use, but didn't want to put up with the harrassment that goes with it. Come the changeover however, it'll be a different matter as the aerial can't recieve digital as it's not going to be upgraded.

Your aerial doesn't need to be. At switchover the digital signal can be received by all but 1 in 5,000 existing aerial systems that can receive the lowest grade of watchable analogue signal.

Davidc

Guru
Crankarm said:
How many elderly people will be bullied into paying for a TV license for broadcasts they can't even receive as the analogue signal had been switched off and TV licensing won't believe they have not made the switch by getting a free view box and digital aerial because they simply don't understand?

Not, I gather, the experience in the South West where switchover has happened. The number of people with problems was minimal, and the vast majority of the elderly (over 75s) had no difficulty at all.

Top Bottom