Twaddle you've told your kids, or were told when you were young.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I don't know where I heard it but obviously from the early eighties... Kim Carnes who sang "Bette Davis Eyes" had a role on the soap "Crossroads" (I kept hold of this completely fallacious piece of knowledge for years before realizing it was "Pobol y Cwm".)

Of course a singer from LA would naturally end up in a soap opera about a motel on the outskirts of Birmingham....

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It makes me feel so old to realize how old Kim Carnes is presently. She penned a lot of songs for other people, as well as herself.

Brains

Legendary Member
My uncle and aunty went to live in America for some years.......they went when I was maybe 9 yrs old (1956).
I don't think anyone told me this but I somehow got it into my head that they had travelled on the Titanic and survived. I told all the other kids about it and seem to recall them believing me.
Very strange thing the imagination of a kid.

In the late 60's, as a 7 year old my wife used to tell a similar story about her Grandmother being a Titanic survivor.
Whist whilst not strictly true, it did have an element of truth,

Her Grandmother would have been 10 when the Titanic when down, and her best friend survived (her sister did not)
The family were on the way to emigrate to the USA, got rescued by a ship bound for Ireland, so moved back to the house they had just vacated in Essex and never left.

In the early 1970's the real survivor came in to my wife's junior school to tell all the kids about the event.
(Grandmother and friend both made it to see in the year 2000)

Last edited:
Top Bottom