Twaddle you've told your kids, or were told when you were young.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My uncle and aunty went to live in America for some years.......they went when I was maybe 9 yrs old (1956).
I don't think anyone told me this but I somehow got it into my head that they had travelled on the Titanic and survived. I told all the other kids about it and seem to recall them believing me.
Very strange thing the imagination of a kid.

My uncle and aunty went to live in America for some years.......they went when I was maybe 9 yrs old (1956).
I don't think anyone told me this but I somehow got it into my head that they had travelled on the Titanic and survived. I told all the other kids about it and seem to recall them believing me.
Very strange thing the imagination of a kid.
So you are saying they didn't survive?

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I thought it was god moving his furniture that caused thunder.
I was told it was the dwarves bowling beneath the mountains. I live in Illinois, where there are no mountains. But my grandmother was Upstate New York Dutch in background, so I suppose the source material quite like that of Rip Van Winkle. My father and I once met a little person he knew, and I asked my father later if he was one of the bowling dwarves who made thunder. He told me;
"Sure and he is, but don't let on."

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not necessarily fibs told to kids, but my Uncle had heard somewhere that sidewinding rattlesnakes could "move faster than a galloping horse". This stuck in his mind for years as an impressive feat until he was about to tell someone someone else and thought "hang on a minute. That's utter bollocks" and managed to stop himself before sounding like an utter fool

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Not necessarily fibs told to kids, but my Uncle had heard somewhere that sidewinding rattlesnakes could "move faster than a galloping horse". This stuck in his mind for years as an impressive feat until he was about to tell someone someone else and thought "hang on a minute. That's utter bollocks" and managed to stop himself before sounding like an utter fool
It may be true over a very short distance.
I doubt they would win the Epsom derby.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Horses are bloody fast when galloping. My ex-Mrs' horse, by no means a racehorse, could easily go a good bit faster than I could cycle flat out.
I meant the strike as it bites you.

Seevio

Guru
A quick google search didn't reveal the speed of horses on loose sand but I imagine that the surface would have a significant detrimental impact. Possibly even bringing the speed below the 18mph recorded for a sidewinder.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A quick google search didn't reveal the speed of horses on loose sand but I imagine that the surface would have a significant detrimental impact. Possibly even bringing the speed below the 18mph recorded for a sidewinder.

18mph sounds awfully fast

I have actually seen a sidewinding snake -
it was on the main road in Ystradfynlais in west Wales. It was a green snake good metre long. Whilst I assumed it was a grass snake, it clearly wasn't an adder, I was wary of picking it up in case it was someone's escaped deadly green mamba so I used a piece of karrymat to scoop it into the hedge so it didn't get run over. It was barely doing a slow walking pace - albeit it wasn't a sidewinder even though it was undeniably sidewinding

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My dad told me:
The sparkly stuff on black fruit pastilles was coal dust. I wouldn’t eat them.
the red fruit sweets (wine gums, fruit gums, pastilles, jelly babies etc.) were made from crushed beetles to give them the colour. I looked this up in the library. Cochineal is exactly that. I wouldn’t eat those sweets either.

When it snows, elves put pennies under the snow. If I cleared all the snow, I could keep the pennies. I was 6. Dad lied :cursing:

However. Years later, I was £40 light on the purchase cost of a pony. He ‘gave’ me the £40 and drew up a contract for which bit of the pony was his. I was quite smart at 14 years old. Businessman as a father and his legally binding contracts had taught me a thing or two by then. I suggested a tenner a hoof. He agreed. After that, every 6 weeks or so it was a case of ‘Dad, you know your hooves? They need shoeing’ :girldance:

Top Bottom