.....twelve cogs....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Thirteen, presumably.

No, that's unlucky.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

simon.r

Person
If only someone could come up with a range of 500% and keep a straight chainline...

image.png

screenman

Legendary Member
Remind me how much the cassette costs.

The other thing to remember is that a triple wears slower by its nature as the chain doesn't spend all the time on the same ring.

The groupset is £1200, I see no problem with that amount. As for saving money by running a triple, I never took up cycling to save money, maybe spend it yes, but never save it.

The groupset is £1200, I see no problem with that amount. As for saving money by running a triple, I never took up cycling to save money, maybe spend it yes, but never save it.
ah, but there is pleasure in simple pleasures that you don't have to pay much for, are even free.

Did we establish up above the price of the consumable cassette alone?

I guess I don't like some of my pleasures being colonised by marketing. You can of course spend your cash on what you want (no one on here is trying to stop you) but I'll pedal on by. Enjoy your cycling.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If only someone could come up with a range of 500% and keep a straight chainline...

View attachment 122794

And the Rohloff is cheaper at 'only' £850.

Levo-Lon

Guru
ah, but there is pleasure in simple pleasures that you don't have to pay much for, are even free.

Did we establish up above the price of the consumable cassette alone?

I guess I don't like some of my pleasures being colonised by marketing. You can of course spend your cash on what you want (no one on here is trying to stop you) but I'll pedal on by. Enjoy your cycling.

why buy the cassette alone? You need the specific chain crank and shifter..its a new concept.
if your into racing and DH it will be a advantage..or just like brilliant new tec
if you bimble along tow paths on a sunday morning it would be pointless..

if you hate marketing dont read it

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think you've reached your luddite frontier (I found mine in electric shifting, and the article below named the feeling of unease I had about it).

http://blog.bicyclism.net/?p=617

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The only thing that bothers me is the 'gap' in ratios. My MTB bugs me at times, but that is when on flat terrain, and of course being a rodie used to close ratios.

It makes sense. I was going to post a thread about 2x10/11 vs 1x11. What's the advantage of 1x in real life.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The only thing that bothers me is the 'gap' in ratios. My MTB bugs me at times, but that is when on flat terrain, and of course being a rodie used to close ratios.

It makes sense. I was going to post a thread about 2x10/11 vs 1x11. What's the advantage of 1x in real life.

For proper mountain bikers, with a 1X set-up you can deploy one or two chain guides/pulleys to prevent any possibility of the chain flying off the front ring.

Doesn't really apply to me, although the chain has popped off the granny ring once on my Cannondale.

Happily, there's no gap between the ring and the Hollowtech bottom bracket, so the chain cannot jam, it just drops on to the axle shell.

Sharky

Guru
What's the advantage of 1x in real life.

I've found with my 1x9 set up, that it eliminates the "cross-over" point. With a double and moving up or down through the gears, you get to the point where you have to change up on the front and down a couple on the rear, sometimes ending up with a gear smaller than you started with. With a 1x set up, you just change up or down when you need to. It just is a simpler process.

Top Bottom