.....twelve cogs....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Completely get this for the pros on particular stages that would benefit from going to 12 gears from 22. However for the ordinary Jo, it's not great [talking about road bikes here].

Sharky

Guru
I wonder if Andy Schleck would have benefitted from a 1x12 in 2010?

simon.r

Person
Completely get this for the pros on particular stages that would benefit from going to 12 gears from 22. However for the ordinary Jo, it's not great [talking about road bikes here].

I think one of the benefits of 1x systems is their appeal to the ordinary Jo. Over the years I've ridden with numerous occasional cyclists who either can't or don't want to work out the complexities of gear changing using 2 levers. A 1x system, or a hub gear, would make life simpler and just maybe encourage more people to ride more often.

why buy the cassette alone? You need the specific chain crank and shifter..its a new concept.
if your into racing and DH it will be a advantage..or just like brilliant new tec
if you bimble along tow paths on a sunday morning it would be pointless..

if you hate marketing dont read it
A somewhat odd post. Of course i wasn't proposing just getting the rear cogs - i was simply trying to figure the cost of regularly replacing a particularly consumable part of the system. many folk change the cassette when they change the chain. i don't hate marketing as such, never said i did, not sure what gave you that idea. As for not reading it, an issue is being discussed.

I think you've reached your luddite frontier (I found mine in electric shifting, and the article below named the feeling of unease I had about it).

http://blog.bicyclism.net/?p=617
Thanks for that piece. I laughed at the justification for electronic shifting being the banishing of cable maintenance :smile: tech like that might possibly have applications for top rank pros, but not for others in my view.

Top Bottom