Two Days on Marathon Winters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Spent the past two days commuting on Marathon Winters, apparently you need to ride at least 40 km on dry road surface to ensure the studs are seated properly before you use them in anger.

They weigh the same as Marathon Plus tyres but because of the knobbly tread and studs the rolling resistance is slightly higher, a pain when going up a long drag into a head wind. A little slower average than normal as took it easier on corners and started braking earlier than normal.

Fairly quiet on nice new tarmac but on anything else, especially the the road surface near crossings, they are extremely noisy. No need to worry about pedestrians not hearing you coming, even if their using an MP3 player on high volume, they hear the tyre roar. I imagine the noise will be worse when deflated to 60psi to help with improving the contact area and obviously will make the bike slower.

Hopefully will not need them to much this winter but when I do I know my legs will be getting a harder workout:eek: and hopefully I stay upright:laugh:.

trickletreat

Veteran
Thanks for the post, I have just ordered a Winter for 20" rear trike wheel to replace the Big Apple. How easy are they to get on, say compared to a Marathon Plus ATB or similar?
Nigel

OP
OP
BSRU

BSRU

A Human Being
Thanks for the post, I have just ordered a Winter for 20" rear trike wheel to replace the Big Apple. How easy are they to get on, say compared to a Marathon Plus ATB or similar?
Nigel

I found them very easy to get on did not need levers until the very last part, easier than Marathon Plus.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Thanks for the info. I'm quite tempted to get a pair myself, except I can't decide wether to put them on my hybrid, or my MTB... Are yours the 700's, or the 26"?

Do you know how long they last? My concern is that they'll wear out very quickly, although if I did get a pair I'd wait until it was needed before putting them on (although I wasn't aware they needed to be "ridden in" - Maybe I'll need to rethink that too!).

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I have the 700c and they go on by hand only, a bit easier than my M+'s, being carbide tipped the studs should last the lifespan of the tyres. Based on what I've read, and my 1/2 winter on them, I'd reckon on getting 3-4 years out of a set. You may lose the odd stud but you'd have to lose a heck of a lot for them to cease to work as they're meant to.

potsy

Rambler
Try buying from Spa Cycle, only £28 each.

£32 on there now. I'm still debating whether or not to get a pair,or just use the car if it gets icy again.
blush.gif

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've got some other studded tyres (Schwalbe Snow Studs). I expect them to last for a very long time- although I've got a spare set of wheels so I only use them when necessary, likely only a few days per year.

levad

Veteran
I used Marathon Winters from Christmas Eve 2009 until just after Easter 2010. I did about 1500 miles commuting on them and found them fantastic! I commute 13 miles along rural lanes in West Oxfordshire and managed throughout the snow in January and all the 'normal' icy mornings.

I am wondering when to put them back on for this winter.

Top Bottom