Two panniers or four

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pw2389

Cathryn said:
I got kicked out of ballet class aged 3 for being flat footed...

Ballet class at 3? Is a child even able to walk at that age, let alone have any degree of physical coordination? :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

If you are not camping and you arnt going to stock up on souvenirs etc i cant see what gear you'd NEED to take that would require four panniers. Seems unecessary to take 4 bags when 2 and a bar bag will clearly be enough

Leilei

Cathryn said:
Slight case of over-forward planning but I've been thinking (again) about next year's big trip across Europe. I'm going to TRY to be disciplined in my packing, and only take a sensible amount - as a gauge I'm going to try to fit everything into one pair of panniers plus my other box thing that goes on top of the pannier.

Assuming I manage this, should I a) keep everything in the two back panniers or :biggrin: split out the load between two back and two front panniers, although they would technically be half empty?[/quote]

I think that if you had the spare space they would not be half empty for very long, therefore stay with the two bags.

Achilles

I agree - I find kit expands to fit the space available. I get all my camping gear/clothes etc in 2 rear panniers and a bar bag. My spare tubes etc and a windproof go in the saddlebag. I carry a cargo net thingy so if I am really pushed I can fasten stuff onto the top of the rack.

Handling feels a bit odd for the first 30 mins or so but I soon get used to it.

Have to admit to never having tried front ones - but its an expensive experiment and I am sure I would just end up carrying stuff ' just in case'

asterix

Comrade Member
Altho' I have 4 panniers I use only the two rear and an old fashioned saddle bag! They're all Carradice and the rear panniers are large with big extra pockets. In one pannier I can get a Hilleberg Nallo tent plus all the wet weather gear and then more stuff in the back pocket. Being cotton the pannier has a certain breathabilty.

Cathryn said:
I suppose the worry about the two pannier thing is that all the weight goes on the back wheels. I have good Mavic wheels...would they be strong enough for two panniers of clothes etc?

Get your wheels checked and trued before you go: I broke a rear axle and three spokes once and had to cycle a grinding 20 miles to the next bike shop (spokes I had but not an axle).

A handlebar bag is great for balancing out rear loads if you don't take front panniers and you can keep all you valuables in there so it's easy to slip off and carry with you. My preferred method is two rear and a handlebar bag. I have cycled with four but personally didn't like the 'dead' feeling it gave the front end, you have to try it and see. Handling will also depend on the bike as well; four panniers on a tourer are less of a problem than four on a more race oriented bike.

Whether you take four or two panniers, make sure you leave space for buying the days food and drinks.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Cathryn said:
I suppose the worry about the two pannier thing is that all the weight goes on the back wheels. I have good Mavic wheels...would they be strong enough for two panniers of clothes etc?

Cathryn,

I am confident with my Mavic wheels that I'll get a significant mileage out of them before they give up on me. I weigh in at 22 stones then there's the luggage...

I've destroyed a couple of rear wheels but they do have a hard life when touring.

You are nobbut a slip of a lass :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

I am probably nigh on at least double what you weigh...I broke just one spoke on my tour this year with a heavy camping load...and that was when I was riding off road on a rocky beach track:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Okay, maybe I'm overworrying (wouldn't be the first time). I think there was a good point made as well that if I took more panniers I'd fill them with crap like cowbells from Switzerlnad....I think I'm going for the two. It will make me more disciplined. Thanks everyone.

Brock

That's that sorted then.. Oh, could you pick me up a cowbell while you're away?
I love the way they tonk.

Brock

Actually, I've changed my mind. I've always wanted one of those alpine horns, please thankyou. Better take some spare bungees.

Top Bottom