Two panniers or four

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I used to be a two pannier zealot. I believed the discipline of cramming full camping gear into just the rear panniers was good for the soul and some sort of recognition of high browed puritanical self control and denial. I would scoff at those who even had stuff on top of their racks although my real contempt was reserved for those with front panniers; - "Oi, you emigrating or what?"

But then it dawned on me it was all bollocks. Once you've got over the satisfaction of proving it can be done, it's then just a pain in the arse. It just takes too long to get everything packed in exactly the right place and there is no slack to accommodate extra treats for picnics or more supplies for wild camping, etc. Front panniers just give more flexibility and convenience. They also steady the bike up and make it far more relaxing to ride whilst looking around or reading the map.

The amount of gear you take remains under your control. You don't have to fill all the space. But ultimately, a few more kgs are not going to be as detrimental to your enjoyment as being uncomfortable, or cold, or hungry or even deprived of that cow bell.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Oh now I'm all undecided again. Thank goodness I have at least 8 months to dither, panic, buy everything I might need and then decide to go with what I already own!

Tim Bennet. said:
I used to be a two pannier zealot. I believed the discipline of cramming full camping gear into just the rear panniers was good for the soul and some sort of recognition of high browed puritanical self control and denial. I would scoff at those who even had stuff on top of their racks although my real contempt was reserved for those with front panniers; - "Oi, you emigrating or what?"

But then it dawned on me it was all bollocks. Once you've got over the satisfaction of proving it can be done, it's then just a pain in the arse. It just takes too long to get everything packed in exactly the right place and there is no slack to accommodate extra treats for picnics or more supplies for wild camping, etc. Front panniers just give more flexibility and convenience. They also steady the bike up and make it far more relaxing to ride whilst looking around or reading the map.

The amount of gear you take remains under your control. You don't have to fill all the space. But ultimately, a few more kgs are not going to be as detrimental to your enjoyment as being uncomfortable, or cold, or hungry or even deprived of that cow bell.

I took that philosophy to the extreme: Instead of being a bike camper I ended up with a 26ft long, 7ft wide camper which took a bike! My weight increased in proportion to the vehicle I drove (big beer fridge you see) and the bike got rusty.

I'm now back to where I started.

It's a slippery slope.....

Bigtallfatbloke

On the issue of packing stuff for ease of access this is how I pack my four bags:

Rear right:
Tent and sleep mat
Clothes
Left crock

Rear left:
Sleeping bag
Clothes
Right crock

Front right:
Trangia and cooking stuff
(space for food)

Front left:
Wash stuff and towel
(space for food)

Bar Bag:
Maps, money, cards, phone, camera,torch, ipod, bits and bobs...and space for a packet of mc V's digestives!

I pack waterproof clothes on top of panniers if I think I may need them quickly.

The advantage here for me is that whenever I need a shower I just grab the left front pannier and head off to the wash rooms...everything i need is all there. Whenever I need a meal I just grab the front right pannier...it makes life easier.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Holy thread resurrection Batman.
At near 6 years old......
is this a record?

Nah.

This is a record.

2013-06-0673-climax-blues-band.jpg

Top Bottom