Two panniers or four

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
I go for 2 rear panniers, plus a bar bag, and when travelling with my wife we also share the load so that one of us has the tent (in a lightweight waterproof backpack, so can use it as a day pack too and when moving luggage when getting on trains etc.), and the other a dry bag containing both sleeping bags carried across the top of the rear rack. It's not as balanced as taking 4 panniers, but encourages you not to pack too much and it's *far* easier to deal with only 2 panniers instead of 4 when dealing with train/plane connections...

My wife shares the load, by me taking a trailer!

]
P6216321.jpg

CafGriff

:thumbsup: nice bike Hun!! It looks 'clean' and balanced. I'm torn at the mo between Ortleibs and Alteras :wacko:
I'll need waterproofness, capacity and look ( visibility ) :eek:
I'm swaying towards having 4 pannies with the two rear obviously being 40 litres and a dry bag thing on the top og the back rack. I've already got a hand bar bag. ( not too clever on this e computer thing, don't know yet, how to attach pictures ... but will eventually ) :crazy:
I've seen some panniers on Amazon, that is written up as 'waterproof' and when I nread into the description it then states ' can't guarrentee absolute waterproofness' ... :ohmy::angry: well why advertise it as water - flippin' - proof then ??!! :cursing:

CafGriff

My current rear panniers (pictured in my avatar) are these from Edinburgh Bicycle Coop. They are not part of a sale at the moment so a bit more expensive than they sometimes are, but they are good, big panniers. :smile:
Yep. I've looked at some bags from Edinburgh. I've ordered a front pannier carrier from them. There's a red set, that looks too small but the write up states they are 20 litre bags each, and at a fraction of the cost of Ort's and Alt's !!:eek:

willem

Über Member
In my experience you do not need more than two rear panniers (plus bar bag) on a European tour. The (often dirty and wet) tent goes on top of the rack in its own bag. This will not often work on an extended tour in the third world, but In Europe I have easily succeeded, even into the colder season and in more remote areas. You save the combined 2-2.5 kg weight of front panniers and a front rack weight, and you save a lot of money. Put that to good lightweight gear. I love Ortlieb panniers for their rugged quality, but I hate the weight. These http://www.outdoorworks.de/index.php?prod=7337&vid=86748&function=set_lang&lang=en are a special edition of the Plus version, without the frills, and therefore cheaper and lighter. Price here is for one.
Willem

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Vernon's previous post points to rubble sacks, used as pannier liners, will make the panniers waterproof, which may help the budget minded. I still favor the four panniers method due to being able to carry more weight up front and not over the rear wheel where spoke breakage, especially on the drive side, may occur . Too much weight in the front, or up too high, as in a bar bag, tends to make my bicycle a bit too twitchy for my tastes, and I intend to convert to low-rider front panniers at the earliest possible opportunity to improve handling on the bicycle even more. I need to quit dreaming up winter projects now.

willem

Über Member
In my experience the best way to improve the handling and stability of a touring bike is to reduce the load. My rear wheel luggage load is never more than 15 kg, and often only 10 kg. I have not broken a spoke for ages (a good handbuilt wheel helps).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yep. I've looked at some bags from Edinburgh. I've ordered a front pannier carrier from them. There's a red set, that looks too small but the write up states they are 20 litre bags each, and at a fraction of the cost of Ort's and Alt's !!:eek:

Think very carefully about your future plans regarding cycle touring before making a purchase. If LEJOG is the main focus with just occasional use afterwards there is no point in purchasing top of the range panniers. I made do with a set of Halfords panniers for the first four years of cycle camping during which time I did LEJOG, JOGLE, Channel to the Mediterranean, several coast to coast rides and single pannier use on forty or fifty 100km audaxes. They were still functional when I sold them on Ebay and purchase some used Altura panniers which in turn were sold on when I finally settled for Carradice panniers. I use rubble sacks purchased from B&Q to guarantee waterproofness. I've never had wet pannier contents in over ten years of cycle touring.

You can get by with two panniers if you are disciplined with what you take. You could augment carrying capacity by putting your tent on the rack top instead of in one of the panniers. You might also consider purchasing a decent sized saddlebag like the Carradice Long Camper instead of purchasing front panniers.

Top Bottom