Two panniers or four

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CafGriff

Just click on "Upload a file" and then choose from a storage option on your computer. Once there select a pic and click on "Open". Assuming you are using windows.
Hello again Camera Guru!! Did the above, but when I was setting up my Album for the public scruoot-un-knee, the message I as getting was that the picture / image /file? was too big! :eek: Help!!:crazy:

CafGriff

In my experience you do not need more than two rear panniers (plus bar bag) on a European tour. The (often dirty and wet) tent goes on top of the rack in its own bag. This will not often work on an extended tour in the third world, but In Europe I have easily succeeded, even into the colder season and in more remote areas. You save the combined 2-2.5 kg weight of front panniers and a front rack weight, and you save a lot of money. Put that to good lightweight gear. I love Ortlieb panniers for their rugged quality, but I hate the weight. These http://www.outdoorworks.de/index.php?prod=7337&vid=86748&function=set_lang&lang=en are a special edition of the Plus version, without the frills, and therefore cheaper and lighter. Price here is for one.
Willem
Hey!! I checked out the outdoor site. The front Ort's = sold out !!:cry: I'll try on another site . Fanx anyway!:smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry, I should have warned you about that. You need a tool that can reduce the file size. You may have one included somewhere on your computer but failing that try SIR (simple image re-sizer). You can down load it from here http://sir.projet-libre.org/?page=download Select the latest version for OS (assume windows) and download. It will be a bit slow to open but it is quite simple to use. You can select to reduce your pic by size or by percentage. Good luck.

CafGriff

Sorry, I should have warned you about that. You need a tool that can reduce the file size. You may have one included somewhere on your computer but failing that try SIR (simple image re-sizer). You can down load it from here http://sir.projet-libre.org/?page=download Select the latest version for OS (assume windows) and download. It will be a bit slow to open but it is quite simple to use. You can select to reduce your pic by size or by percentage. Good luck.
Cheers babe! I'll let U know ... or let U view the latest. :thumbsup:

oxford_guy

Über Member
:thumbsup: nice bike Hun!! It looks 'clean' and balanced. I'm torn at the mo between Ortleibs and Alteras :wacko:
I'll need waterproofness, capacity and look ( visibility ) :eek:
I'm swaying towards having 4 pannies with the two rear obviously being 40 litres and a dry bag thing on the top og the back rack. I've already got a hand bar bag. ( not too clever on this e computer thing, don't know yet, how to attach pictures ... but will eventually ) :crazy:
I've seen some panniers on Amazon, that is written up as 'waterproof' and when I nread into the description it then states ' can't guarrentee absolute waterproofness' ... :ohmy::angry: well why advertise it as water - flippin' - proof then ??!! :cursing:

Have you considered Vaude Aqua's?: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...ct/review-vaude-aqua-back-plus-panniers-33924

I have these and they're superb, I prefer them to the Ortliebs (which I've also used) have they have a stronger back and the rolled up top clips neatly to each side of the pannier. Very robust, have stood up to 5 years of abuse with no complaints

CafGriff

ok Gang!! I'm looking at panniers and carriers. I'm looking at Ortleibs = £££'s and Altura's = ££'s and Vaude's = £'s .... then I fall across Arvenir bike bags for £28 !!!!!:eek::eek: ... I would VERY much like feedback, this seems just TOO good douncha think!!??:rofl:

CafGriff

Ha!! Thank you for that. I think I am swinging towards them u know!!;)
It's just that there are so many panniers on the market and on so many sites, with so many differing ( but the same ) prices, it's the measurements that are some what confusing. The trouble is I don't know anyone with these items and without 'hands on' ... small pictures on a screen mean not too much to me!:blink:
I'm an old fashion buyer really ... I'd like to be able to feel the thing / bit the things / visually see what / how / if things will fit in the compartment:eek:

Our Ortlieb's have happily survived not only tours, but also fifteen years of daily abuse.
Willem

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i was going through the same thing... ortleibs seemed far too expensive, but i ended up going for them. The moment they arrived i knew it was money well spent and can't see myself replacing them for the rest of my cycling life.

I think I have 11 serviceable panniers – (the odd one is a briefcase) predominantly altura – heavy but have always served me well both for durability and waterproofness despite much abuse – my pannier of choice is 56l – and for touring I limit myself to four – I’m of the camp that believes that four is a better balance on the bike – the only tour that I used two on I was uncomfortable on decent hills – having four lets me put in a decent effort when the hills are relatively short and very steep – and on the longer slogs and fast descents the bike is not twitchy at low speeds –ive never used a bar bag so I don’t know how that comes into the equation – I tend to pack the rear panniers to the brim with stuff I don’t need during the day – the front panniers are for stuff I might want – and space for collecting food – that’s not too say that’s the limit of my luggage – tent goes on top of the rack - along with waterproofs and odd bits of warm clothing that I might need during the day depending on how the weather changes
2009psot-11143s.JPG

Top Bottom