Two speed 'derailleur' on Bromptons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brommyboy

Über Member
The only time my dérailleur fails is when some muck gets to the bracket that shifts the chain. As it is very near the ground, it does pick up muck in wet conditions. This muck is often between the bracket and the stops screws, preventing a full shift. I have used it in very heavy rain without any other difficulty such as what you are reporting.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Does anyone know why the derailleur on a Brompton fails in wet conditions? I know I'm not the only one who's noticed this, so it's not just me. It's just really annoying.
Is there a cure?
A proper wide-range hub gear without kludges? ;)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
with a 110 mm drop-out?
Rhubarb my Brompton has...
  • a standard rear triangle
  • a hub gear
  • eight speeds
  • no dérailleur
  • one shifter
The factory are obsessed with coming up with their own novel, and somewhat Heath Robinson solutions, to improving the breed. That and maintaining backwards compatibility.

Really no reason why they can't offer a factory SA 8 speed other than their own conservatism.

Brommyboy

Über Member
What I do not think you realise, GrumpyGregry, is that Brompton developed the 2x3 speed system precisely because SA did not exist! Having lost the use of the SA5, the only other hub gear available to fit the existing frames was the Sachs Torpedo, with modification, on which the 2-speed derailleur was then added. It is only since the acquisition of the SA patents by the current company that the SA hub came back into existence. You now have the SA8 fitted to your Brompton, but I doubt very much that the dropout is still 110mm; more likely it is wider, probably 130mm. I also know of Rohloff 14-speed Bromptons, but, like your Brompton, the dropouts have been modified, so are no longer standard. You should therefore not disparage the marvellous efforts of Brompton to overcome the lack of a multi-geared hub when left bereft by the collapse of the original SA company. Nowadays there is quite a choice of these multi-geared hubs, but mostly they are built with 130 or 135 mm widths and can only be slimmed a bit.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
What I do not think you realise, GrumpyGregry, is that Brompton developed the 2x3 speed system precisely because SA did not exist! Having lost the use of the SA5, the only other hub gear available to fit the existing frames was the Sachs Torpedo, with modification, on which the 2-speed derailleur was then added. It is only since the acquisition of the SA patents by the current company that the SA hub came back into existence. You now have the SA8 fitted to your Brompton, but I doubt very much that the dropout is still 110mm; more likely it is wider, probably 130mm. I also know of Rohloff 14-speed Bromptons, but, like your Brompton, the dropouts have been modified, so are no longer standard. You should therefore not disparage the marvellous efforts of Brompton to overcome the lack of a multi-geared hub when left bereft by the collapse of the original SA company. Nowadays there is quite a choice of these multi-geared hubs, but mostly they are built with 130 or 135 mm widths and can only be slimmed a bit.
Brommyboy don't let your love for the worlds best folding bike cloud your judgement. I know full well the genesis of the shite six-speed only works in the dry solution. That was then. this is now.

My rear triangle remains unchanged from new. Nothing on my bike has been modified. I had the singlespeed wheel in the drop outs last week! No flexing the triangle no changing the drop-outs.

And I'll disparage Brompton as much as I like. ;)

I'm on my third. I think that buys me a whole heap of entitlement to carp.

Brommyboy

Über Member
OK, so your SA8 hub was modified to fit the existing drop-out. As a matter of interest, was the axil also shortened, or does it protrude quite far out, especially on the LH side?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
OK, so your SA8 hub was modified to fit the existing drop-out. As a matter of interest, was the axil also shortened, or does it protrude quite far out, especially on the LH side?
Not aware of any axle shortening. Nor of any quite far out axle action. The SA wheelnuts are a bit wider than stock but once on the bike this isn't noticeable. Doesn't affect the fold or usability.

Everyone who does 8 speed SA conversions modifies the hub by swapping the spacers around. Just like Brompton could, but with their buying power they could get it done at the factory.

Brommyboy

Über Member
I think you may find that the locknut for the LH cone has been removed. Your axil must have been shortened as the normal length is about 30mm longer than for a Brompton. It would protrude on the LH side for about 25mm. Not a problem unless fitting this without an angle grinder. As a matter of interest, how many teeth in sprocket and chain ring? SA used to limit the lowest gearing to a chain ring at least 2x the size of the sprocket. If that still applies, then the lowest gear with the SA8 would be 32", whereas the BWR will come much lower than that.

Bromptonphile

Regardless of the weather, mine will only shift down (i.e. smaller sprocket to larger, which is supposed to be the trickier shift). It won't shift the other way without a nudge from my heel, which is impossible without looking, which of course is dangerous. At the moment, I'm riding it as a somewhat highly-geared three-speed. |||Any advice welcome.

Top Bottom