Type 2 diabetes - what energy bars / gels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
I never really had a problem with going out first thing in the morning without eating. Probably as I wasn't doing more than 20 miles and may be because I had enough sugar in my blood stream to cope...
However, having been told that I am type 2 and I needed to get my blood glucose levels down I have done just that, and I am now getting cream crackered after about 15 miles.
I like to get up and go , as well as not really exercising well on a full stomach, so I don't fancy a breakfast before I set out. I wondered about energy bars, but I don't want a sugar spike as that will equally tire me.
Does anyone know if low carb or low GI energy bars exist ?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Riding fasted is a large part of the problem there

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Veteran
Riding fasted is a large part of the problem there
Yeah, I sort of guessed that, hidden in the past by the higher than it should be blood sugar level in the morning I guess.

So it looks like I need to eat before I go out, but in my running days I never ate less than three hours before exercise, the very odd occasion I did resulted in throwing up some time during the exercise..
I am going to need to find something low in sugar which I can tolerate.
Porridge may be a bit heavy,
This may take a while...

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I find a small bowl of fruit n fibre quite palatable before a ride. But the trick is finding something that works for you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Now that's really confused me.
A diabetes site recommending something with over 10% sugar...

It's not necessarily a recommendation but a suggestion versus some of the commercially produced products, the sugar content coming from the fruit it seems. There's no refined sugar in the recipe

Sounds like you do need to get advice from a dietician (again)?

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Veteran
I assumed you were jumping straight out of bed onto your bike, something with a very low GI wouldn't have time to metabolise before you needed it.

Shaun
Good point,
If I grab a couple just as I leave next time and see how I go.
As long as I don't eat them all the night before

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Just because you're diabetic doesn't mean you have to cut out all sugar. It's a question of balance. There's no harm in taking on carbs/sugar if you will be burning them off.
When I was first diagnosed, I overreacted and cut out everything remotely sugar related. This is simply not necessary and I ended up lethargic. Your body needs fuel to provide the energy for cycling. If I'm going on a ride I always have a bowl of porridge for breakfast and then snack on small flapjacks every hour or so. Blood sugar levels are unaffected.
I've found that weight loss and exercise have been the things that help the most. My type 2 is controlled this way - no drugs.

Last edited:
If it were me I would change my diet to a LCHF one. I regularly ride 4 hours fasted but fat adapted.
It's not going to give you speed but for endurance, in my experience brilliant.

Top Bottom