Typical 4X4's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I find that you always touch a nerve with the 4X4 owners!

I wonder if it had been a fiesta and I had put "typical fiestas" would there have been 100 replies!!!!

jimboalee

tandemman said:
THere are plenty of mountain bikes that never go up or down a mountain, there are plenty of touring cycles that never tour, there are plenty of road racing bikes that have never entered a road race,
I believe it is called freedom of choice.

Why would anyone ride a fixed wheel track bike on the road?

Because they WANT to.

Range Rovers et al are available to buy. They are road legal.
Any other motorcar is likewise.

It is as tandemman says, freedom of choice.

As far as I am concerned, every motorist should be viewed as a risk until they prove otherwise.

tandemman

You're not wrong there, and the ones that are not a risk may well become one in the next 5 seconds, expect crap driving and you'll not go far wrong.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
very-near said:
Try dragging a trailer or caravan out of a muddy field and will immediately see the attraction of 4wd.

4wd ability is a bit like having strong brakes or air bags. Until you actually need it, you might struggle to see the point!

Me and my dad did. It was fine. Just had to use our brains. The trailor was pretty heave aswell(had 2 generators on, diesel, lots of chairs, big tents etc) and we took it off the muddy field. Cars were getting stuck coming onto it. We got off it fine with a very heavy trailor.
It had big ruts at the gate aswell, so we had to take those right to get out.

So whats this about 4x4?

Joe24 said:
Me and my dad did. It was fine. Just had to use our brains. The trailor was pretty heave aswell(had 2 generators on, diesel, lots of chairs, big tents etc) and we took it off the muddy field. Cars were getting stuck coming onto it. We got off it fine with a very heavy trailor.

So whats this about 4x4?

So your trailer weighed 500kg whilst being towed by a 1200kg car.

What is your point, do you think that they bothered to put centre diff locking 4wd and an LSD on the back axle on my car as a sales gimmick or do you think it could follow mine through a track in a field which has already been churned up by other vehicles Joe ?

Do you think your old mans runaround car could follow mine through this ?

skwerl

Start questioning the logic of car choice and you have to start on everything else too. Why should a family of four live in a huge house? It's also wasteful. Why do people need to travel abroad on holiday when the UK will do? In fact, why drive to Cornwall? Why not holiday in your local area? If you don't want people to make their own choices then you have to start legislating. Then we're into communism territory so may as well keep going towards that Marxist Utopia.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Isn't that the old "crime exists, so let's abolish the law" fallacy though?

The idea that because you can't do everything, the only logical choice is to do nothing.

tandemman said:
Whoa thats some caravan site I'd never get my van level there.

This is what happened to the guy who followed me down off the top ledge (he got it wrong) :smile:

bbucm.jpg

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Joe24 said:

So whats this about 4x4?

I've had to tow plenty of people out of muddy camping fields with my 4X4. All sorts of saloons, motorhomes, trailer tent combo's, you name it.

Never needed a tractor either, and during the heavy rains of last Year the exit to the rally field we were in was so muddy that people struggled to walk through it but the good ol' 4X4 pulled everything through with no problems.

Stop it linf. You know as well as anyone that in certain areas a 4x4 is a status symbol and not bought because of its functions.

Who is more believable. Someone who set up a 4x4 owners club, who regularly mixes with people who actually own the vehicles, or someone who just dislikes them and takes a pop at ownership at every opportunity.

Just because the 4x4 you see the kids being dropped off in hasn't got a caravan or trailer on the back of it doesn't mean that was not the primary purpose for it's purchase.

The club I helped set up has 2 different categories of owners.

The 'shinies' and the off roaders.

The 'shinies' are caravan owners who bought a car which was safe and fit for purpose (towing their huge caravans) but would never dream of taking it down a byway, and the offroaders cars are usually covered in dents and scratches with either All terrain or Mud terrain tyres.

I fall in between the two where it is now covered in dents and scratches and used as a tow car, but was previously immaculate and was owned previously by an Ex SAS bloke from Hereford, who was using it to drive footballers around Manchester as it is obviously a big enough lump to use as a battering ram in the event of a hijack (he was contracing as a bodyguard).

Mine has always been a 'working' car which was fit for purpose in the UK even when it fell into your idea of the stereotype.

Top Bottom