Tyre Pressures recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After several decades I have started again on a oldish bike - my aged hips find it hard to mount by swinging over as I used to. But I need advice on tyre pressure. I have a Giyo pump on which the gauge goes up to 11 bars; but the 'at rest' reading is barely 0.5 bar, in spite of more than ten minutes using consistently long (full-length) strokes at about one every two seconds. What pressures should I am for and how do I achieve that?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What is it reading while you're pumping? Not all pumps read "at rest" on all valves.

What is your tyre width and approximate rider+bike+luggage weight? That will vary the required/desired pressures a lot.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It depends on the size of your tyres. There will be a pressure range printed on the wall of your tyres. I'd choose somewhere near low end of that range and see how it feels. Then adjust to personal preference. Failing that, if you can just dent the tyre with a very firm thumb press should be OK.

If you have a dodgy hip (as I do) leaning the bike towards you as you swing your leg over makes things easier.

Venod

Eh up
I know its not a thing on road bikes, but some "Gravel" bikes have them, dropper posts, I have one on the MTB its very handy to drop it to aid mounting.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Finger and thumb test every time. Never used a pressure gauge.

I think now people are running wider tyres and the tests show that it's actually faster at lower pressure - you don't have to go with the rock hard tyres of the past.

freiston

Veteran
I have a gauge on my "workshop" pump. The gauge is at floor level and I cannot read it very well from a "pumping position" but it has an adjustable red needle marker and I can see when the pressure indicator needle reaches it. My tyres are 32mm Vittoria Randonneur marked with a maximum inflation of 70 psi (iirc). I have set the marker on the gauge to that and I pump up to that (approximately). I give a "thumb check" before I go out on the bike and when I think it feels too soft, I pump them up again (so not often); more often than not, this is precipitated by me thinking that rolling resistance has fundamentally increased (my current tyres are the very slow version of the Randonneur). The pump gauge often shows them as below 50 psi when I go to pump them up (so you can see that I'm not fussy or particular about running pressures). My Lezyne Micro Floor Drive travel pump also has an (inline) pressure gauge (on the hose and even harder to read but I can see when the pressure indicator reaches a marker made of yellow insulation tape). It's readings always concur with the workshop pump. Presta valves.

I have to say that my giving the tyre a squeeze is not a very good indicator of the pressure. I reckon that anywhere between 55psi and 75psi, I would be pushed to know the difference, especially if not having something to directly compare it to at the same time (e.g. having just pumped up one tyre to 75 psi and then trying to gauge the pressure of the other tyre by feel alone).

i agree also that the finger squeeze is of little use - I have done it sometimes and similar-feeling-to-me squeeze tests can return all sorts of values when I then use a decent gauge. OK for my kiddie cycling but not now.

Hello! Just use the top end of the recommended pressure on the tyre side wall. If you can't read it, it's probably time for new tyres!
Buy a floor pump with a pressure gauge and holes for schrader and presta valves. It can be dangerous to use the "squeeze test" - if the pressure is too high and you go over a create in the road the tyre could burst. Likewise if the pressure is too low, the rim is more likely to damage the tyre.

Top Bottom