Tyre treads - does it matter which way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kishin

Über Member
After a recent spate of punctures, I invested in a pair of marathon pluses which I put on the bike over the weekend. Before I put them on, I looked to see if there was any indication on the sidewall of how they should be put on but couldn't see anything and just fitted them anyway.

On my ride yesterday morning, I noticed that the tread seemed to be facing backwards and on looking again, I could see a direction arrow on the sidewall which showed that I'd put both tyres on backwards.

I'm probably going to change them to the right way around over the next day or two but I wonder if anyone knows what difference it would make if I didn't. Would I face some dire consequence just for having two bike tyres on the wrong way around?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I don't think it is as dire as the old warnings about mixing crossply and radials on the same axel of a car. I put mine on the right way round simply because it is the recomended way to do it. I have no idea if it makes any difference at all but it does provide people with an oportunity to show off that they even know that there is a right and a wrong way to align tyres when someone comes along with them on the wrong way. For this reason alone it is worth putting them on correctly as there is nothing worse than the derision of some know it all as they smugly tell you that you've done it wrong.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
i can only guess that it has something to do with the way the tread expels the water ???

but then i have heard that it makes no difference at all.

i suppose it would be more important on big knobbly MTB tyres.

pepecat

Presumably you won't have to change the front tyre - just take the wheel off, turn it round and put it back on again?

I understand it to be somthing to do with the way water is 'sprayed' from the wheel - the tread helps direct the water in a (upside down) V shape away from the wheel and is meant to give a bit more grip. But i might be wrong.....

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Yep tread direction on road tyres is to do with water dispersal. On a MTB it is more to do with grip and mud shedding.

Norm

As the rear tyre moves the ground, whereas the front is moved by the ground, tread patterns for dispersing mud and/ or water should be reversed anyway.

As no-one worries about that, I'd say it's pretty irrelevant.

BSRU

A Human Being
My conti GP 4 seasons do not have a direction indicator, apparently according to another forum someone emailed Continental about GP4 seasons and the reply was it makes no difference.

abo

Many tyres have arrows indicating front and rear useage

+1 my Double Fighters are directional and have arrows showing which way to fit them. The Innovas I have don't, but looking at the block pattern they look like they are directional too, but the tyres don't say and I'm trying to decide which way they go...

OP
OP
kishin

kishin

Über Member
I'm probably pretty anal but I've now changed them over even though I can't really see the direction of the tread making any major difference to performance, particularly as my last tyres were quite slick - I don't see how having a reversed tread can be inferior to having no tread in terms of grip or water dispersal.
Presumably you won't have to change the front tyre - just take the wheel off, turn it round and put it back on again?
I couldn't do that because of the disc brakes.....

Top Bottom