Tyre width sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, I am planning on doing some short breaks in UK next year and a tour round Europe the following year, it's mainly going to be road cycling but some of it will be trails, so obviously I need tyres that suit this. I used to have a hybrid which used 1.75 tyres (I presume this is 1.75 inches) which were smooth at the centre for road use and knobbly at sides for trails. It is these kind of tyres I would like to use at a minimum.

On looking at touring bikes, the widest tyre they used were 35mm which is less than 1.75 inches. So do I get a hybrid and risk whacking my feet on the panniers or try and find a tour bike that will give enough clearance for 1.75 tyres? Obviously the latter but which ones meet this requirement?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Touring bike because when you are not on tour it will do a better job than your hybrid does. Maybe.

I had 1.5” to start with on my tourer but quickly swapped out to 1.75”. Best thing yet. At the moment I have 2.1” knobblies from some off road riding I did. So comfy I haven’t taken them off yet. I am planning a 200km Audax where 90% is off road, so I’ll keep them on for now.

Surly Disc Trucker btw.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure you'd be absolutely fine on something like Marathons in the wider widths. I'm using some Schwalbe Tyragos at the moment, being a bit chunkier than Marathons on what pass for roads here plus tracks and are good but they're awful heavy as more knobbly rubber tends to be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
I've decided to go for the Ridgeback Expedition if the specs are the same when I buy it (1yr). 26 inch wheels and 1.75 tyres but the tyres I would like to replace are 1.9. My only concern is will these be narrow enough for the mudguards? If not, there are other options
Are there any specific requirements for a tyre to be used for touring?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've decided to go for the Ridgeback Expedition if the specs are the same when I buy it (1yr). 26 inch wheels and 1.75 tyres but the tyres I would like to replace are 1.9. My only concern is will these be narrow enough for the mudguards? If not, there are other options
No, I've toured on 28mm Marathons on my Ridgeback Hybrid for years.

Great bike - I have the 2016 model, which I prefer as I prefer its rim brakes to discs. I found the tyres that came with it nice to ride but although a variety of Marathon (Cross?) a bit delicate/liable to punctures. So the back has been replaced by a tougher Marathon.

Might be worth looking out for a second hand one if the price is what is delaying your purchase. And you also seem concerned about the spoec changing - a notorious habit of bike companies. Sensible as Ridgeback are, it's always possible it could go to the insanity (for a tourer) of 10 speed. Barely used tourers and exped bikes quite often crop up at substantial discounts - changed plans etc. I could have bought my Hewitt for half the price. And would be no more used than mine which has sat in a garage for a long time.

Enjoy your Ridgeback Expedition.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think you must back lighter than me raleighnut. 37/38mm for me on tour, even though 28mm is my daily tyre.
Nah, I carry around 18Kg on the rack (about the same as my Rucksack when I'm backpacking) and I'm around the 100Kg mark. I've just re-purposed my Raleigh Equipe into a 'light tourer' for short 1-2 day jaunts and fitted 25mm Continental Super Sport Plus tyres, not been away on it but a 10 mile test (loaded) didn't throw up any problems

Note - Both bikes have handlaced wheels, 36 hole 4 cross pattern on the rear, built up for me by John at Bob Warner Cycles.

Crankarm

Guru

No there are no specific requirements for a tyre to be used for touring save for it being robust and being able to transport you and your bike safely during your tour. There are so many variables. More importantly is the width of the wheel rims of your bike, the internal width of the rim and what range of tyres sizes (widths) the manufacturer of the rim say are suitable. As you have cottoned on to and others have tried to advise there are also clearance issues to consider such as mudguards if you have those fitted or frame clearance issues if not. Why not ask the LBS you are buying the bike from for advice and to fit the tyre you want or suggest another if not suitable when you purchase the bike? Asking such questions so far in advance is frankly a waste of time as who knows what will happen between now and then? You might change your mind or you might drop dead and all our advices will count for nothing. You haven't given any indication of the surfaces you will be riding on, how far, your weight and the weight of your bike and your luggage. Also time of year you will be riding as crap winter weather would need a better tyre imho although you should always ride on the best rubber you can afford. Too many time bandits in this world. I hope you are not one and I have just wasted 10-15 minutes of my life typing this.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Pressure, tread, and weight make up for more difference in riding characteristics than width of a tire does. This is due to the deformation of thinner tires, which cause friction against the road surface.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
No there are no specific requirements for a tyre to be used for touring save for it being robust and being able to transport you and your bike safely during your tour. There are so many variables. More importantly is the width of the wheel rims of your bike, the internal width of the rim and what range of tyres sizes (widths) the manufacturer of the rim say are suitable. As you have cottoned on to and others have tried to advise there are also clearance issues to consider such as mudguards if you have those fitted or frame clearance issues if not. Why not ask the LBS you are buying the bike from for advice and to fit the tyre you want or suggest another if not suitable when you purchase the bike? Asking such questions so far in advance is frankly a waste of time as who knows what will happen between now and then? You might change your mind or you might drop dead and all our advices will count for nothing. You haven't given any indication of the surfaces you will be riding on, how far, your weight and the weight of your bike and your luggage. Also time of year you will be riding as crap winter weather would need a better tyre imho although you should always ride on the best rubber you can afford. Too many time bandits in this world. I hope you are not one and I have just wasted 10-15 minutes of my life typing this.
Not sure what time of year I will be doing it as I have to find out when the snow starts falling in the areas of Austria and the Italian Alps but at a guess I plan on doing it late summer/early autumn. The surfaces will be tarmac to light trails.

Top Bottom