Tyres - A newbies question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
My rear tyre is starting to go bald and as we head into the wintry season I think it might be time to invest in a new set (may as well replace the front 'un too!).

- Bike is hybrid, and i've got 700 x 23s on it (I only know this because I had to replace my wheel not so long back).
- Commute is on paved cycle track for 95% of it.

Tyre recommendations?

tyred

Legendary Member
A lot depends on where you put your priorities. Puncture protection or lightweight and fast? Personally, I would go for something wider than 23 for winter.

If its bald more of the tyre is in contact with the ground so it may actually be more grippy but if you can afford it new stuff is fun :becool: If I had the spare cash I think I'd opt for Conti 4 Seasons, I've used them throughout winter in the past and found them excellent grippy tyres and good rolling too. In general giving my positive record with conti, that'd be the first place I'd look and at the moment on my winter/ training bike I'm using the original base wired gran prix and find them good for rolling, grip and p'ture resistance.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
I've seen threads discussing Conti 4 Seasons and Armadillo Elites which, i suppose, is where i'm really torn.

It's a noob question but will the smooth Continental tyres be better for me than the tread-heavy, puncture resistant Elites?

I've seen threads discussing Conti 4 Seasons and Armadillo Elites which, i suppose, is where i'm really torn.

It's a noob question but will the smooth Continental tyres be better for me than the tread-heavy, puncture resistant Elites?

If you are wanting more grip the less tread is actually better, it depends what you want though, I would expect the Armadillos would be more hard wearing and offer more p'ture resistance. I've never had an Armadillo Elite I can only go with Amadillo Nimbus experience, it was good wearing, and relatively p'ture free but it was a little skittish in the wet.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Will do some 'price comparison' between the tyres and my available funds! :biggrin:

Update: Powering up a hill today and felt my wheels slip, tread must be nearly gone on the back wheels then. Might have to get them sooner than i'd expected!

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
If you don't already know of Sheldon Brown, I suggest you get acquainted: a great source of no-nonsense advice, specifically tyres.

In short, for the road, slicks grip better than treads and wider tyres better than thin ones.

Looking into the same subject myself, the following tyres are regularly recommended (but I have yet to use any of them myself):

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Evolution HD
Continental Grand Prix 4000S
Vredestein Fortezza TriComp

the_mikey

Legendary Member
During the harshest parts of winter I'll be riding on 25c continental gatorskins, the rest of the year I'll use 23c gatorskins, Michelin krylions, and on my summer sportive bike when it's sunny and dry, continental gp4000.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Looking into the same subject myself, the following tyres are regularly recommended (but I have yet to use any of them myself):

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Evolution HD

I ended up buying a Schwalbe rear tyre. It's a cracking wee thing, grippy and speedy.

Top Bottom