Tyres are shot but I can't afford new ones, is there anything I can do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
From the Kebabs ive had in the past you would be better off eating the tyre.

In one of my old bands we used to partially judge a town we played in by the quality of the kebab we could get after the show. The worst was a place in Cambridge where the chicken came out of a back room in a bucket and looked like the last scrag ends you get from a roast dinner. It tasted so rank we agreed not to discuss it in the van on the way home from the show, because even just describing it was making us retch.

400bhp

Guru
I'm gonna have a set of crud Mk2's I hopefully don't need from next week.

Crankarm

Guru
My tyres are running low on tread and things are a bit tight. Can anyone send me some tyres? A few tubes would be nice as well, just in case.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A sub forum for bits and bobs that still have life but not a home is a brilliant idea. Ideal for people in these cash strapped times who need keeping on the road but can't afford fancy shop prices at the drop of a hat. Even if it is just to tide some one over until they can afford fancy shop prices.
There must be lots of us with bits and bobs that we take off but can't bring ourselves to actually throw out because they still have some good wear in 'em. However I think there should be a line drawn just before base layers and chamois.

There's an exchange/free sub forum.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I hinted, then Ian popped on the Link to the proper sub-forum - we need to use it, as some stuff some of us might just shove in the parts bin, might be really useful to others. I'm a bugger for keeping odd spares, so next tyre change I'll list my used ones posted free - recycling and all that.

FreeFlow Bikes

The Blizzards on my singlespeed are shot after just 1000 miles and I've had three punctures in three days. The tyres are full of holes and splits and on the inside of the front tyre on the bit that is contact with the road I can see the thread / whatever it is coming through.

I've had some of THESE recommended by a couple of people, and even although they're pretty cheap I'm going to struggled to get the cash out of the family household budget until after Christmas. My employers are pretty understanding about me turning up to work late due to punctures but if I have another week like this one I'll really feel like I'm taking the wee wee!

I just gave up on the rear inner tube and and when I pulled it out I counted five puncture patches on it!

SO, it's a bit desperate but is there anything I can do to try and get just a few more weeks life out of these tyres? I check the pressure every morning and each time I fix a puncture I inspect the tyre very carefully indeed. I'm also concerned that my rims are shot, correction, I know my rims are shot, although the spoke tape is almost brand new so I know that's not the issue.

Gah!

You said you have checked to ensure that no debris remains in the tyre. One wee trick is to get a piece of cotton wool and run it along the inside of the tyre, that way if any small piece of debris is there it will catch on it highlighting the area to you.

Parktool do an emergency tyre boot but they are only recommended for emergencies and to get you home, not for prolonged use. I have these in my saddle bag now. I did the Pedal for Scotland Sportive in September there, the 110 mile route and slit my tyre open after just 30 miles. I hadn't put the emergency tire boots in my saddle bag! Doh!

Another method I've heard and my mate uses is to cut up an old tyre into different size pieces and keep it in your saddle bag. If you split your tyre stick one of the pieces inside the tyre covering the slit, this should prevent the inner tube from poking through. Again this isn't a method I recommend for long tern use.

HovR

Über Member
You said you have checked to ensure that no debris remains in the tyre. One wee trick is to get a piece of cotton wool and run it along the inside of the tyre, that way if any small piece of debris is there it will catch on it highlighting the area to you.

Another method I've heard and my mate uses is to cut up an old tyre into different size pieces and keep it in your saddle bag. If you split your tyre stick one of the pieces inside the tyre covering the slit, this should prevent the inner tube from poking through. Again this isn't a method I recommend for long tern use.

That sounds like an excellent piece of advice re the cotton wool, never heard of it before! Saves you cutting your fingers on anything sharp as well.

Regarding tire boots, I've used a piece of plastic milk bottle cut to the correct size successfully before. If you're doing the repair at home you can also duct-tape it to the inside of the tire to make keeping it in place a little easier.

Top Bottom