Tyres are shot but I can't afford new ones, is there anything I can do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The Blizzards on my singlespeed are shot after just 1000 miles and I've had three punctures in three days. The tyres are full of holes and splits and on the inside of the front tyre on the bit that is contact with the road I can see the thread / whatever it is coming through.

I've had some of THESE recommended by a couple of people, and even although they're pretty cheap I'm going to struggled to get the cash out of the family household budget until after Christmas. My employers are pretty understanding about me turning up to work late due to punctures but if I have another week like this one I'll really feel like I'm taking the wee wee!

I just gave up on the rear inner tube and and when I pulled it out I counted five puncture patches on it!

SO, it's a bit desperate but is there anything I can do to try and get just a few more weeks life out of these tyres? I check the pressure every morning and each time I fix a puncture I inspect the tyre very carefully indeed. I'm also concerned that my rims are shot, correction, I know my rims are shot, although the spoke tape is almost brand new so I know that's not the issue.

Gah!

defy-one

glue patches of old inner tube to the inside of the tyre. just in the worst sections.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I think I've got 700c 23s at the moment, I'm very open to the idea of putting used tyres on!

let me check when I get home in the shed, I remember taking them off and I think it was becuase I couldn't run them with the mudguards so they should be fine, cant help with the rims as you are running a single Speed?

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
let me check when I get home in the shed, I remember taking them off and I think it was becuase I couldn't run them with the mudguards so they should be fine, cant help with the rims as you are running a single Speed?

It's single speed built with standard geared parts, the rims are from an old Pug road bike from the 80s so are pretty standard.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not sure how to send a PM, if you PM me I will give you the details lol

Do you budget?

I use http://www.stepchange.org/ (formerly known as Consumer Credit Counselling Service), they are a charity offering free debt advice and finacial planning advice in general. E.g. are you putting christmas gifts ahead of your tyre purchase?

I would try sticking black tape all around the outside of the tyre. It may make it dangerous, but it will do untill you save up for a new tyre I suppose.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Do you budget?

I use http://www.stepchange.org/ (formerly known as Consumer Credit Counselling Service), they are a charity offering free debt advice and finacial planning advice in general. E.g. are you putting christmas gifts ahead of your tyre purchase?

We budget very tightly indeed, we currently have no debt other than our mortgage. Life feels like it would be easier if I had a credit card but I just know it wouldn't be in the long run! In reality there isn't the money to 'indulge' in cycling but I've been very fortunate with friends discarding bits! My road bike is an ex-hire jobby that has been in a few accidents and was cheap because of some drivetrain crunch and grind that seems impossible to fix.

I used to have my own business and had spare cash but it was killing me so I quit and got a job (which I love) and my wife only works one day a week when I can look after our spawn. Back then we decided we'd rather be cash poor and happy than have spare cash but jobs we hated. It was very easy to make that decision when we actually had money in the bank! In affect our household income dropped to a third of what it was pre-parenthood. But hey, no debt is pretty nice! I'm not moaning btw, life is good!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Do you budget?

I should say my wife budgets very tightly; I ask for money and she lets me know if we can afford to spend or not, it's a system that works well but is probably a bit tough on her.

Top Bottom