Tyres are shot but I can't afford new ones, is there anything I can do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It certainly is, a shame we are not coming over to ride earlier than Spring as I have approx [cough] 60 used tyres in the garage including loads of Bonti's, anyway I'll throw a few in the car when we come over. Dead unreliable them there Bonti Hardcase Race Lite, just had my 3rd puncture [to be fair in a very well worn front and it must have been something nasty cos I couldn't find it] in nearly 33,000 miles, need to keep an eye out for something a bit tougher.
BTW All Terrain isn't free postage unless you spend over £50, J E James is if you spend over £15 and the tyres are £13.99 each there [sorry 4F].

Wow, that's a lot of tyres!

I want a kebab!

I must confess I did enduldge on the way home.

Forgot I have some spesh tyres you can have if you still need some, but I am guessing you may be sorted. If not let me know.

Alien8

Senior Moment
On the subject of Hardcase Race Lites - I've been using them to commute on a fixed for the last year or so. One puncture in about 9,000miles (I dig out any debris after each ride but I wouldn't say they are particularly prone to picking up stuff). The first rear one got binned at about 4,500miles after the grey central part started to detach from the rest of the tyre - it seemed to be bubbling-up around cuts. The current rear one seems to be starting to go the same way at about the same mileage. There seems to be a few reports of this issue on t'internet.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On the subject of Hardcase Race Lites - I've been using them to commute on a fixed for the last year or so. One puncture in about 9,000miles (I dig out any debris after each ride but I wouldn't say they are particularly prone to picking up stuff). The first rear one got binned at about 4,500miles after the grey central part started to detach from the rest of the tyre - it seemed to be bubbling-up around cuts. The current rear one seems to be starting to go the same way at about the same mileage. There seems to be a few reports of this issue on t'internet.

That's excellent mileage out of a tyre and great advocacy of checking your tyre after every ride. It makes sense.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
That's excellent mileage out of a tyre and great advocacy of checking your tyre after every ride. It makes sense.
+1
I check my tyres once a week for shards and i have burnt 3 tyres this year with glass shards on unlit areas, so if anyone has some spares i will grab em as well as i am having to sell my house and downsize and even had to borrow money off the father in law to buy food last month.Work has announced that it looks like more short time next year to top it off.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I must confess I did enduldge on the way home.

Forgot I have some spesh tyres you can have if you still need some, but I am guessing you may be sorted. If not let me know.

Well as we discussed, chicken kebabs are practically health food!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Guess you did with all of the offers, but did you get sorted out?

I've been away from home so haven't had a chance to fit my new tyres.

400bhp

Guru
+1
I check my tyres once a week for shards and i have burnt 3 tyres this year with glass shards on unlit areas, so if anyone has some spares i will grab em as well as i am having to sell my house and downsize and even had to borrow money off the father in law to buy food last month.Work has announced that it looks like more short time next year to top it off.

:sad:

I thought the future was the Far East for car sales?

HovR

Über Member
+1

I have a pair of old (yet serviceable) 700x25c gum-wall tires you could have for the price of postage (sorry, can't afford to pay that as well with Christmas coming up!) - Although I'm sure one of the many other posters who offered tires to Andrew_Culture will be able to offer you a better pair!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
:sad:

I thought the future was the Far East for car sales?
Problem is the models we make are aimed mainly at the euro market, these are decided by head office.main problem is i have never recovered from the last lot of short time which saw me £100 a week in my hand short for 18 months, a year of basic pay owing the company about 2 weeks of work when they said stay at home but you owe us in overtime at some point but they are already planning linestop for next year rather than extra shifts .

Cyclopathic

Veteran
A sub forum for bits and bobs that still have life but not a home is a brilliant idea. Ideal for people in these cash strapped times who need keeping on the road but can't afford fancy shop prices at the drop of a hat. Even if it is just to tide some one over until they can afford fancy shop prices.
There must be lots of us with bits and bobs that we take off but can't bring ourselves to actually throw out because they still have some good wear in 'em. However I think there should be a line drawn just before base layers and chamois.

Top Bottom