Tyres for the 'does everything' bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
I've got a CX bike which I currently use as winter bike, commuter bike, tourning bike, and now club run bike as I've put the carbon away for the winter.

Ive been running Schwalbe Marathon (700 x 25) on it for 1600 miles, but the rear sidewall has given out, and it's got an egg that I just can't ignore.

So replacement shopping is imminent, but am unsure between:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus - put off a bit as I got the egg in the old Marathons, and they're pretty heavy for the club runs
Continental Gatorskins - less puncture protection, but should roll better for the club rides.

And then anything else anyone can think of, eg the continental GP 4 seasons etc

Basically they need to be versatile - roll well, durable, puncture resistant. Probably in either 700 x 23 or 25

Thanks guys.

User269

The conti gatorskins and GP4 are highly thought of, but I never liked their 'feel' or durability myself. I've found the Specialized Armadillo all condition tyres in 700 x 25 I use on my winter bike to be perfect for me; good 'feel', excellent grip, reasonably fast, and best of all now that I'm entering my 4th winter with them, good durability and..........no punctures :eek: .

PpPete

Legendary Member
Maybe not be billed as having the same P-protection as Marathons or Gatorskins but I've always found Michelin Krylions 25s to be an excellent compromise of all the usual desired characteristics.

VamP

Banned
I use Ultremo DD on my winter wheels. But I wouldn't expect them to be as durable as Marathons. On the other hand they are infinitely faster.

Top Bottom