Tyres - lifespan.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Are cycle tyres the same as car tyres ie having a finite lifespan irrespective of wear?

I have some Marathon Deluxe (lightweight tyres only available in certain markets) that are around 5 or 6 years old with very few miles on them that I am thinking of giving away to a neighbour.

Just wanting to be sure that they are safe both now and for a good few years as he is a low mileage cyclist.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I don't think so, I've had some Marathon plus on a rarely used old hybrid for getting on for 9 years now and they're looking good still, I'll continue to use them indefinitely until they have issues.
I'd say if there aren't (a) significant sidewall cracks / perishing, (b) loss or breakdown of tread, (c) excessive punctures, they're still perfectly useable.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I don't think so, I've had some Marathon plus on a rarely used old hybrid for getting on for 9 years now and they're looking good still, I'll continue to use them indefinitely until they have issues.
I'd say if there aren't (a) significant sidewall cracks / perishing, (b) loss or breakdown of tread, (c) excessive punctures, they're still perfectly useable.
Just like car tyres really. This business of putting an age/lifespan on tyres is only necessary because people are often oblivious of the signs (or choose to ignore!) that indicate a tyre that has degraded beyond the point of safety.
Quite coincidental that you should ask this today as I am just giving some 10yr old bike tyres to a colleague at work and have inspected them closely to check condition. They will of course be given with a disclaimer regarding safety guarantees.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I think what kills tyres apart from a hard working life is un-inflated squish on a bike left unattended that and sunshine

That's a good point, the M+ that I was referring to are in a dark garage and always fully inflated, they do get a regular (if short) run out. Constant sunlight and / or being flat for extended periods is indeed a tyre killer.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
UV and ozone (if you keep the bikes in a workshop where you use electric power tools) are what ages them. Car tyres can also suffer from rusting of the steel belts, which delaminates the tyre, but bike tyres have cotton, nylon or kevlar belts.

One advantage of a somewhat aged tyre is that it has a harder tread and is more puncture-resistant, not picking up little bits of glass, flint or thorns.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I had tyres on my bike for 15 years then one day i got a puncture so bought a new bike.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I had tyres on my bike for 15 years then one day i got a puncture so bought a new bike.
It's surprising how many new BSOs are abandoned when they get a puncture. There was one in the bike shed at work for 18 months. It was brand new when it came in and never left. Puncture on first ride*. By the end, all the steel parts were rusted and it was removed by security and chucked in a skip.

*you need very tough tyres or sealant to brave Swindon psyclepaths. Apart from smoking dope and stabbing each other, the favourite yoof pastime is smashing glass bottles on paths.

roley poley

Über Member
One advantage of a somewhat aged tyre is that it has a harder tread and is more puncture-resistant, not picking up little bits of glass, flint or thorns.
[/QUOTE]
I can remember being told to let a new tyre "mature" a bit before fitting which I took to mean letting the mould release compound evaporate so it wasn't slippy on the road .I would wash mine with a bit of fairy liquid,scrub pad and warm water which did the trick .Your reason seems to be better

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Car tyres are exposed to more UV. Bike tyres kept on a bike in the dark can last a very long time. I have some 10 year old Schwalbe Snow Studs that are used in Winter, but are perfect - no cracking. They are kept in a garage with no UV exposure.

Top Bottom