Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is it the All Condition Armadillos or the Schwalbes that make you feel like riding through treacle?

I changed from Marthon Plus to the Spesh A.C. Armadillos on my hybrid and found the Spesh ones, which have far less prominent tread, smoother.

I am looking for some winter tyres for my road bike at the moment. Having looked on a few CC threads and read reviews elsewhere, I have narrowed it down to the Spesh A.C. Amadillos, Continental Gatorskins or Continental G.P. 4 seasons, mainly as they get decent reviews. At present, I am leaning towards Gatorskins, mainly due to cost. 4 Seasons vary between £55 and £60 a piece (although there is an LBS nearby that has them advertised at £45), Armadillos £40, and Gatorskins £30. Halfords have Gatorskins in at £27.99, but with Cycling UK 10% discount it will come to £25.20 or just over £50 a pair, which is less than the price of a single 4 seasons.

Spesh felt like riding through treacle. The schwalbes run so much quicker with a similar amount of puncture protection.
Gatorskins? I wouldn't touch any Continental tyres with a bargepole - cos if I did they would puncture at the slightest touch. However other peeps swear by them.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Strange how different people have different experiences with various products. I guess some is down to luck - when I used Marathon pluses, I had 3,000 miles puncture free, then 3 punctures in 9 months, one of which was on a 6 week old M+. I know they are one of the most puncture resistant tyres available and I was probably just very unlucky, but I had had enough of them and wouldn't rush to buy them again.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Strange how different people have different experiences with various products. I guess some is down to luck - when I used Marathon pluses, I had 3,000 miles puncture free, then 3 punctures in 9 months, one of which was on a 6 week old M+. I know they are one of the most puncture resistant tyres available and I was probably just very unlucky, but I had had enough of them and wouldn't rush to buy them again.

Ribble have Gatorskins for £20.49 a tyre

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continental-gatorskin-rigid-tyre/

Or available as a twin pack for £36.95

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continental-gatorskin-rigid-tyre-twinpack/

Both with free p&p - Halfords should price match and give you the 10% BC discount on top.

Top Bottom