Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

That's a shame because I have just ordered from wiggle and paid for 1st class delivery.

Ok thanks for the information. It's a shame because solid tyres does sound a very good idea. I've order the Durano Plus now. I will see how I get on with these. Thanks all.
The D+ is my 'go to' winter pneumatic tyre. They are heavy ( relative to a less durable tyre ) but I've had nails bent by them, with no punctures, so they are very good from the durability / puncture resistance angle.

Despite what some people tell you, solid tyres are rubbish. We've written about it here quite recently. Avoid.

And I've ridden thousands of miles on them, with no issues, and no punctures. Have you?

Thought not.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the information. It's a shame because solid tyres does sound a very good idea. I've order the Durano Plus now. I will see how I get on with these. Thanks all.
The 'information' is in fact Baloney, in my relatively extensive experience. The Solid tyres are in fact very good, they do take a bit of adjustment, and getting used to, but well worth it, if it means avoiding having to change a tube, in the dark cold months, that we are about to be right in the middle of, and let's face it, anybody with actual experience of using the solids will tell you, the dark months are when you are more likely to see the advantage of not picking up punctures due to running over stuff you can't see easily.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another vote for Gatorskins from me. Got them on both road bikes and wouldn't consider anything else.

I did have folding Vittoria Rubino Pros on the best bike when I bought it and they were great during the summer, but as soon as autumn came I started breaking traction on climbs in the wet so swapped them out for the Gators.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

These have now turned up, and they are a lot thicker than anything I have tried before. I will fit these ASAP and see how it goes. The continental tyres have a small hole in now, I will see if I can fix this with something, and maybe I can keep them for the summer.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Well for me the weight saving was noticeable but also I think because they are constructed differently they spin up really fast and rolling resistance seems better - but that is just my experience fwiw :smile:

Top Bottom