Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Think a lot depends on what wheels you are putting them on - I wouldn't bother on a low-end wheel. But on a decent wheel, for me, it made 2-3 mph average speed difference

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Over what time period is this? 5 punctures over 3 years and 30,000 miles would be OK I'd say:whistle: . If its a short period of time tho, and not repeated fails caused by chronic wear, something still in the tyre, knackered rim tape and the like, the tyres don't sound best suited for the conditions you ride in. As its a bike forum we could suggest this sounds like the perfect excuse to buy a CX or mountain bike^_^. But in truth I'd probs just change the tyre for something a bit sturdier.

From personal experience:
-Marathon Pluses are bomb proof but a bit slow, unfeeling and heavy. I can't bring myself to put them on a nice road bike.
-Conti Grand Prix, cheap but horrible, duff ride, rubbish puncture protection. They come free with lots of new bikes and still most people change them, they can't give them away!
-I've tried Gatorskins and tho the tread lasts well and is pretty puncture proof I did'nt really like the ride and had split sidewall after a while. And did'nt have much confidence in the grip in damp and wet conditions
-Rubino Pro, hated these, only had one on the rear but grip in damp and wet is terrible, I lost the back end a few times, and when riding my singlespeed in drizzle in a straight line up a hill of about 6% the rear tyre repeatedly slipped causing me to dismount, I knew these tyres were going in the bin. How people have any confidence cornering in the wet with one of those on the front beggars belief:eek:
-Scwalbe Ultremo ZX DD, racier tyres and fastest rolling tyres I've ever used and with supposedly decent puncture protection, but not for larger units like me, I trashed a set in month and I can't afford new tyres every month.
-And then I started riding Michelin Krylions, which I think were later rebadged/rebranded as the Michelin Pro 3 Endurance (the Race versions cut up a lot faster and did'nt last as long). I then moved from 23c and have ridden 25c Michelin Pro 3 and Pro 4 Endurance versions ever since. I think the current incarnations are Michelin Power Endurance. For me they are the best compromise of price, durability and performance, quite fast rolling and good grip in all conditions, and I've gone up gravel fire roads with them too no problem. And they are often on sale, the folding 25c versions are £25 each at Decathlon at moment
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/700x25-pro4-endurance-road-bike-tyre--id_8363657.html
Just my 2p worth.

Good luck, repeated punctures is a PITA but don't let them put you off riding^_^

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
I put on pro4 endurance a couple of weeks ago..4 punctures in total,3 on the rear and one on the front in about 350-400 miles riding...I think its down to luck..I dont seem to have any at the moment

albion

Guru
Nope, more likely it is down to the wheels and/or the rim tape.

With a new bike I simply stopped gettimg punctures. And I only went for some extra puncture proofing on the rear.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Got to say, that sounds very unlikely...
Must have been the extra Weetabix then!!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I put on pro4 endurance a couple of weeks ago..4 punctures in total,3 on the rear and one on the front in about 350-400 miles riding...I think its down to luck..I dont seem to have any at the moment
I had the same with the same tyre, Endurance my backside! I even got flung off my bike with these so wouldn't touch them with a barge pole again. Mine blew on a downhill corner going full tilt broken and dislocated my shoulder. I assumed it might be user error over inflating or brake rub but too similar to have three similar just here!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/pro-4-sidewall-failure.153631/post-3682713

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/pro-4-sidewall-failure.153631/#post-3016492 Post 12 is me :-(

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tyre-blow-out.112611/#post-2138296 Same make different model

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13067546 Same even more recent

https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Pro...p_d_hist_1?filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=1

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Think a lot depends on what wheels you are putting them on - I wouldn't bother on a low-end wheel. But on a decent wheel, for me, it made 2-3 mph average speed difference

Why would lower tyre weight make a different difference on low end wheels vs (presumably) higher end wheels?

Also, you'd have to save a heck of a lot of weight* to make 2-3mph difference in your average speed - as you say, it must be the Weetabix.

* More than you could possibly save on tyres.

Folding tyres don't have the wire bead that a rigid tyre does. They have different sidewall construction. They are lighter than a rigid
No, they have exactly the same sidewall. The only difference is the bead itself. A folding bead can, well, fold and is a bit lighter too. That's the only difference.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
They are pretty good, I ran them for years until I swapped over to the Schwalbe's, however, they do feel like you are riding through treacle.
Is it the All Condition Armadillos or the Schwalbes that make you feel like riding through treacle?

I changed from Marthon Plus to the Spesh A.C. Armadillos on my hybrid and found the Spesh ones, which have far less prominent tread, smoother.

I am looking for some winter tyres for my road bike at the moment. Having looked on a few CC threads and read reviews elsewhere, I have narrowed it down to the Spesh A.C. Amadillos, Continental Gatorskins or Continental G.P. 4 seasons, mainly as they get decent reviews. At present, I am leaning towards Gatorskins, mainly due to cost. 4 Seasons vary between £55 and £60 a piece (although there is an LBS nearby that has them advertised at £45), Armadillos £40, and Gatorskins £30. Halfords have Gatorskins in at £27.99, but with Cycling UK 10% discount it will come to £25.20 or just over £50 a pair, which is less than the price of a single 4 seasons.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Is it the All Condition Armadillos or the Schwalbes that make you feel like riding through treacle?

I changed from Marthon Plus to the Spesh A.C. Armadillos on my hybrid and found the Spesh ones, which have far less prominent tread, smoother.

I am looking for some winter tyres for my road bike at the moment. Having looked on a few CC threads and read reviews elsewhere, I have narrowed it down to the Spesh A.C. Amadillos, Continental Gatorskins or Continental G.P. 4 seasons, mainly as they get decent reviews. At present, I am leaning towards Gatorskins, mainly due to cost. 4 Seasons vary between £55 and £60 a piece (although there is an LBS nearby that has them advertised at £45), Armadillos £40, and Gatorskins £30. Halfords have Gatorskins in at £27.99, but with Cycling UK 10% discount it will come to £25.20 or just over £50 a pair, which is less than the price of a single 4 seasons.

I've got Gators on both road bikes and would recommend them to anyone. Don't forget Halfords price match online retailers as well as the BC discount. :okay:

Top Bottom