UCI Road World Championships Doha 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why are they having a world championship in city where no-one appears to live:wacko:.
$$$$$

Reactions: mjr
Indeed, it looked like van Duyck lost consciousness for a moment near the finishing line - she got all out of shape and suddenly veered to the right but rescued it just in time.
Apparently Cookson said he has not heard of any issues at all regarding the heat, completely problem free event. He ought to get his head out of all that sand.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Apparently Cookson said he has not heard of any issues at all regarding the heat, completely problem free event. He ought to get his head out of all that sand.
Ha! Even Gilmore on the BBC preview was saying you have to get used to drinking warm water because it's nastily hot even at 9am. Maybe Cookson can't see any coverage with his head in the sand?

lyn1

Über Member
Why are they having a world championship in city where no-one appears to live:wacko:.

The people are there. London is the only city in the UK with greater population. They either have no interest or do not want to stand in that heat for hours...probably both.

The people are there. London is the only city in the UK with greater population. They either have no interest or do not want to stand in that heat for hours...probably both.
I saw 2 people walking along with shopping bags during the Junior Women's RR and another bloke looking as if he was thinking about crossing the road.

lyn1

Über Member

He was very careful with his choice of words.He said cases of heat exhaustion or heat stroke, which presumably have specific medical definitions and come at the extreme end of the heat related continuum.

lyn1

Über Member
I saw 2 people walking along with shopping bags during the Junior Women's RR and another bloke looking as if he was thinking about crossing the road.
That will be my mate trying to get to work. Most of the racing has taken place on the Pearl...one road in and out and closed from 8am to 4pm every day. Causing havoc locally apparently.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't understand what Qatar get out of this apart from bad publicity.
The conditions are ludicrous, the parcours ugly and uninspiring, the Qataris are uninterested, even the cycling fan struggles to find much joy in it.
Does it persuade anyone to visit there, invest there?

I don't understand what Qatar get out of this apart from bad publicity.
The conditions are ludicrous, the parcours ugly and uninspiring, the Qataris are uninterested, even the cycling fan struggles to find much joy in it.
Does it persuade anyone to visit there, invest there?
Some mega-rich sheikh will probably have got a wee thrill out of it. And gullible twats in the west will look on and think "aww, they're nice arabs/muslims..." or something like that

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And they're off!

Along a boring four lane highway with no one in sight... just cars queueing waiting to use the roads as soon as they reopen. It's quieter than the middle east tours. More like the tour of Beijing crowd levels.

Top Bottom