Uh Oh. Snapped Off A Hex Key In A Bolt Head.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm considering that as the most likely method to fix the issue without compounding the damage.

Trouble is, the only magnets I have are the crappy ones the missus buys for sticking notes on the fridge.

If you see the car DIY thread, you'll see your issue is small. I have someone elses car stranded on my drive now ! :rolleyes:

I'm considering that as the most likely method to fix the issue without compounding the damage.

Trouble is, the only magnets I have are the crappy ones the missus buys for sticking notes on the fridge.
Mmmm, may not be strong enough! Worth a try, then maybe order an earth magnet from Amazon, you could have it delivered to tomorrow, the you’ll have it when the rest of the hex keys snap... :whistle:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Mmmm, may not be strong enough! Worth a try, then maybe order an earth magnet from Amazon, you could have it delivered to tomorrow, the you’ll have it when the rest of the hex keys snap... :whistle:
I should have said "not strong enough" as I've already tried it with a picture of Perth Western Australia fridge magnet.

One of the guys at work has a strong magnet so I'll message him and get him to bring it in on Monday.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If you see the car DIY thread, you'll see your issue is small. I have someone elses car stranded on my drive now ! :rolleyes:
It's not the end of the world I know. A new front mech would only cost me £30 and I could always adjust the cable tension by pulling through and clamping when it feels right (old school).

Still a bit annoying though.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Good luck!
Maybe if the magnet does work, some superglue on the naff hex key?
I've just read about that method as well and it's worth thinking about.

All I'd need is a very steady hand (which is something I'm not renowned for).:laugh:

Trouble is if OP has jammed the end of the key so hard that it snapped then a magnet or superglue is unlikely to help.
Dilling is best but the steel is hard, very hard. Either drill and fit a small self tapper or drill a 3.5 cm hole and jiggle the remaining bits out with a thin screwdriver or similar.

Top Bottom