Uh Oh. Snapped Off A Hex Key In A Bolt Head.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Apologies if I gave the impression the bolt remover tool is potentially destructive. The tool itself is turned by hand in an anti clockwise direction and is relatively benign. It bites into the metal and as it rotates anti clockwise it unscrews the bolt. Out it comes. I've had a couple of 'miracle' moments when you see that bolt start to come out - it's a cracking little tool. The bolt may even be reusable but if it were me I'd have a replacement on hand just in case. I presume it's a bog standard bolt, even though it's recessed?

^^whs^^ thread extractor

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If it's a ball end key, I've had the same happen on good quality (Wera) keys, although mine get used daily. They snap at the weakest spot, the narrow point between the shaft and the ball end.
It's a 2mm standard Allen key which I can't remember ever using before (the rest of the set have done hundreds of things without issue).

It's just one of those stupid and irritating things that happen when you decide to do a five second job.

I could write a £ukcing book about five second jobs that went tits up.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If it really wasn’t under a lot of pressure then it probably isn’t very firmly stuck. I realise it’s small, but can you get a small punch on it, and tap it in the reverse direction? If you don’t have a tiny/sharp punch then maybe a small nail or screw?
I'm going to try it using a sewing needle as a punch in the morning.

I'd do it now, but I'm on my third can watching the bindippers play the toffees.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Man loses eyeball in garage, repairing a bike with a sewing kit. FFS don’t use a needle. Screw extractor maybe but it’s likely to need a HSS one. You not got a friendly mechanic? He will have one.

Gunk

Guru
Front clamp bolt should be tightened to 7 Nm max, how on Earth did you manage to snap off an Allen key!

only way of resolving it is to cut the head off with a Demmel and drill it out. Or sell the bike!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Smash it with a lump hammer. If bits fall off, put it in the bin...

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Front clamp bolt should be tightened to 7nm max, how on Earth did you manage to snap off an Allen key!

only way of resolving it is to cut the head off with a Demmel and drill it out. Or sell the bike!
It's not the clamp. It's the cable tension adjustment.

The little bugger in the picture below.

1613855358741.png

gbb

Legendary Member
Front clamp bolt should be tightened to 7 Nm max, how on Earth did you manage to snap off an Allen key!

I use Allen keys every day at work, I've had one snap using very little force. I suspect its partly design, partly maybe manufacturing defect. It's also the 2 mm key, its tiny anyway..

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I use Allen keys every day at work, I've had one snap using very little force. I suspect its partly design, partly maybe manufacturing defect. It's also the 2 mm key, its tiny anyway..
I've just spent five minutes looking at it through a magnifying glass and the cross section surface of the broken key has an area which looks like the inside of a Crunchie bar. Whether that is how it was already or if it is the result of the snap, is not for me to say.

The bolt itself does the same job as a standard front mech barrel adjuster and with a bit of thought, Shimano could have made the bolt head a barrel adjuster instead of a hex. Cable tension is pretty critical on two ring systems with trim settings, so it's an adjustment which would need to be made more frequently than on (say) a three ringed MTB.

I've become used to "on the fly" minor gear and brake adjustments using just the barrels. Now, I find that my top of the range front mech requires a tool to do something I can do with my fingers on my bargain basement Apollo.

So we are talking micro surgery ?
The Allen key is 2mm AF so you you are going to need a good head magnifying lens to see what you are doing .
Just thinking about the problem is difficult enough ! :wacko:
If you could get a good 1mm drill to make a hole in the remains of the Allen key it might loosen enough to come out if you are lucky .
Super glue might make things worse as it could spread around and glue the bit in .
I don't envy you !
So you are going to need to have steady hands and mount the bike securely so that it doesn't move at all .
If the action of the drilling doesn't shift it then you will need to resort to an extractor of some kind . Perhaps a soft wire which could be super glued in and then gripped with a pair of moles and pulled out . I wouldn't use anything hard as if it broke off you would be in a worse position .
Good luck with whatever you do .

Top Bottom