Uh Oh. Snapped Off A Hex Key In A Bolt Head.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Barrel adjusters are utterly useless. I tried fitting them in line on my front mech cable and it totally messed up the shifting to the point where the mech didn't move at all :sad: I tried all sorts but evetually plugged it in to the etube software, and found the front mech no longer registered :wacko: Of course I'd already cut the cable to fit the barrel adjuster so I then had to replace it :angry: Total waste of time and money :sad:

T4tomo

Guru
Barrel adjusters are utterly useless. I tried fitting them in line on my front mech cable and it totally messed up the shifting to the point where the mech didn't move at all :sad: I tried all sorts but evetually plugged it in to the etube software, and found the front mech no longer registered :wacko: Of course I'd already cut the cable to fit the barrel adjuster so I then had to replace it :angry: Total waste of time and money :sad:
Useless in the wrong hands perhaps.....

.....unless your post is a badly narrated joke about Di2 maybe?

EDIT >>> ah so it is a Di2 joke, I take back the "Useless in the wrong hands perhaps.....".:wacko:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
If you just 'leave it' @Lovacott this 8 page thread will have an unsatisfactory, unresolved ending/atrophy (I guess some will still come along and, without reading the previous pages, suggest things which have been masticated to death already ^^ )
You owe it to this sheared end of a 2mm allen key to sort it out, sharing the gory detail with your wise, non-judgemental audience. If giving it a tweak to get the white lines lined up mattered to you all those days ago, an in-line adjuster will just not be sufficent, and this will niggle you every time you ride the bike.

Next time I take off the cable (maybe when I fit the inline barrel adjuster), I'll have a look at the pointy end of the bolt and see if I can do anything from that end.

That may require a new thread though because technically speaking, I won't be solving the stuck hex key problem.

winjim

Smash the cistern

All uphill

Still rolling along
No. I want to see this thread gain more traction. A few more failed attempts; more ideas proffered; tales of psychotherapy sessions; fist fights in the street with helpers offering TIG welders; and the eventual collapse of civilisation. @Lovacott nows owes us this. The thread must not end.
We could divide into those who want the offending piece to leave, and those who want it to remain!

Then we could have a dozen threads going for five years!

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
How about one of these...

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
One previous owner called Ham Fisted?
Harsh but true. On the tools, I'm a bit of a bull in a China shop/ shoot first, consult the instructions later kinda guy.

Did ten miles on the new bike this morning by doing half the commute and turning back. Bike goes like a bloody rocket compared to the MTB on the exact same ride.

Post ride, I checked out the tension adjuster to see if maybe the stuck bit of hex key had been shaken out during the ride.

No such luck.

Top Bottom