UK;s Toughest Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
My nightmare hill has always been Rawson's Raike, in Ramsbottom. On an MTB you can climb the tarmac road then get a short break before continuing on a steep narrow lane right to the Peel Tower. I've watched a hill-climb there and seen roadies arrive at the top and barf up.

The lane from the main road (Cross Lane) is passable on a road bike, and if you carry on on Holcombe Old Road, rather than turning uphill for peel tower, it's still passable on skinny tyres, but cobbled to enable Paris Roubaix Pave type indulgence!

I personally find Mytholm Steeps in Hebden Bridge (aka Church Lane, Rawtenstall Bank) very similar but that little bit harder.
Also in Hebden Bridge is The Buttress 30% with rough cobbles and moss, which I've now decided I can't get up with standard gearing and a 25 cassette.

Lots of challenging double chevron climbs round here, couple of others in Hebden Bridge, a nice set going south from Sowerby Bridge, includung a 20% railway bridge . Then there's the two climbs north from Meltham, and the 5 or so north from Slaithwaite. There's a couple of killers in Luddenden too, one of which is in 'the book'. And then there's plenty of less steep but longer climbs, A687 Todmorden to Bacup is a good example. Greenfield to Holmfirth and the reverse are long drags in an almost alpine sense, and Wessenden Head is I think harder than Holme Moss. I also find the south side of Holme Moss a harder climb than the north.

baldycyclist

Über Member
The Struggle?
248953_1775193025870_1420661437_31561319_8373015_n.jpg

http://g.co/maps/6cu3g

Schneil

Veteran
I'm a hill climbing novice, but there's a really steep hill climbing East out of Settle in North Yorkshire.
I did it last Summer, with my hybrid weighed down with two full panniers as I was doing "way of the roses".
It was so steep I had to dismount and push the last bit. I wasn't the only one - you could see where others had a go and had thrown up!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm a hill climbing novice, but there's a really steep hill climbing East out of Settle in North Yorkshire.
I did it last Summer, with my hybrid weighed down with two full panniers as I was doing "way of the roses".
It was so steep I had to dismount and push the last bit. I wasn't the only one - you could see where others had a go and had thrown up!
Just looking on Google maps - is that High Hill Lane? If so, that looks respectably steep to me: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...&panoid=VDXgWxlP8MBk8hArWeaScA&cbp=12,73,,0,0

Schneil

Veteran

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I can say with authority that this one is a hard grind near the end of a 300km audax event. But it's great fun hitting 56mph going the other way.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=52.515194,-2.888138&spn=0.000003,0.002642&hnear=Shrewsbury, Shropshire, United Kingdom&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=52.515157,-2.887975&panoid=qwqWVehOcNPhCPmWK1JCaw&cbp=12,74.59,,0,0

This hill is in Stoke Canon, Exeter
It's a bitch! tried it my first time last night and did it with no stops! the first of all my mates to do it! It's the only hill I was in the very lowest gear for, such a struggle. A definite must if you live around this area!!
Dunno if it's a glitch my end but that link shows me Asterton Bank in Shropshire.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

My nightmare hill has always been Rawson's Raike, in Ramsbottom. On an MTB you can climb the tarmac road then get a short break before continuing on a steep narrow lane right to the Peel Tower. I've watched a hill-climb there and seen roadies arrive at the top and barf up.

I used to ride Rawson's Rake all the time, but that was almost 20 years ago (I live a bit further away from it now). That was on a Mercian Audax whose lowest gear was 42:21. I'd make it up about half the time, it was always the steepest bit right at the top, with the stone wall and gate on the left, that got me. I simply didn't have the strength sometimes to push in that gear.

If you like that hill then you'll love Ashworth Road between Bury and Rochdale, here:

http://goo.gl/maps/CNa2K

It starts off with a nice steep climb, then levels out. Then gets steeper and levels out. Then gets even steeper, the last climb (five IIRC) is as bad as anything Rawson's Rake can offer, but is longer. It's one of those climbs that just keeps on punishing you. The good thing is that once at the top you get to roar down to Ramsbottom at supersonic speeds.

Top Bottom