UK;s Toughest Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wormo

Guru
I vouch for the that hill out of Settle being very hard. When we did on Way of Roses last year had loose cows running down it at same time.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Oh my god - I'm worn out from following it on Google maps!
Riding the Long Mynd the other day I had to warn a group of novice mountain bikers about going up this road. I met them struggling with a climb the other side & they asked my advice about whether the descent they'd chosen is a good one. It is, but they'd have had to ride this way to get back to where they were staying.:blink:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I've done Holme Moss, Devil's Staircase and the Long Mynd; but the one that I know might defeat me is Church Hill, Glyn Ceiriog.

It is a 2 mile long, 1 in 4 hill and I suspect that in parts, it is even steeper than that. I've yet to pluck up courage to do it . . . . . . I think that I'd need a mountain bike - and the more appropriate gearing.

I came down it once, with my youngster on a 'tag-a-long'; I was pretty much 'full-on' the brakes, all the way down.

Descriptions from a couple of websites:

from Cheshire Roads CC . . .

"From Llanarmon D. C. there followed a brief breather as we followed the Afon Ceiriog downstream to Glyn Ceiriog to be met by the horrendous climb of Church Hill which rises like a wall from the top end of the village (two lots of double arrows on the O. S. map.
This bit of torture saw about 95% of the rider resorting to Shank’s Pony at some point or other (the exception amongst the Chesh being super fit Rob)"

from Sherwood Cycling Club . . .

"A pleasant ride along the Ceiriog valley to Glyn Ceiriog and then the dreaded climb of Church Hill. This really was a brute of a climb, being about 2 miles long with the steepest section being 1 in 4 or steeper. I resorted to walking, as did most other people. Stephen managed to ride all the way up, passing scores of people and earning the nickname “little Indurain” in the process."

I'll try it one day, but I'll have to be very well prepared to tackle it.

It would be a great challenge for any Cyclechat rider . . . . who is going to be first ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I reckon Park Rash near Kettlewell is one of the toughest climbs that I've ever managed to ride up. I normally climb sitting down but I was out of the saddle within 2 pedal strokes at the foot of the climb. I got a round of applause from some families at the car park halfway up. I'd been just about to give up, but they spurred me on!

park_rash_detail.jpg

park_rash.jpg

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Riding the Long Mynd the other day I had to warn a group of novice mountain bikers about going up this road. I met them struggling with a climb the other side & they asked my advice about whether the descent they'd chosen is a good one. It is, but they'd have had to ride this way to get back to where they were staying.:blink:

:cry:

jayonabike