Ultegra Di2 6870 derailleur question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
I currently have an Ultegra Di2 6870 SS (short cage) derailleur fitted but I'd like to increase the size of my cassette. Unfortunately, to do this, I'll need a GS (medium cage) derailleur.

I'm assuming (and stand to be corrected) that the main part of the derailleur is identical on both and that the only difference is the length of the cage plates?

If this is the case, can I simply purchase and swap the cage to turn my SS into a GS?

At £147 for a new GS I'm looking at other (cheaper) options!

Globalti

Legendary Member
No you can't buy the cage.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Looks like you also need part 7. The inner and outer are 8 and 11.

See the part diagram on the website.

Thanks for that bikingdad90, good spot.

Just managed to get the parts list to open and you're right, the only parts that differ between the SS and the GS are item 8, the Inner Plate, item 11, the Outer Plate and item 7, the Plate Axle Assembly.

Just ordered all 3 :smile:

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
If you want the parts specifically for the medium cage (GS), Di2 version of the RD-6870 then use the links above. But if you want the short cage (SS) version or the mechanical version be careful as the parts vary between models.

Shimano Part Numbers for the 3 parts needed for the Medium cage (GS), Di2 RD-6870 are:

Y5YC225000 - Inner Plate
Y5YC98080 - Outer Plate
Y5YD98030 - Plate Axle Assembly

Whilst I can't personally confirm that these are all of the parts needed (as I haven't received them yet) I did call the technical helpline at SJS and was told that this was the case :smile:

Last edited:

rob01792

Über Member
If you want the parts specifically for the medium cage (GS), Di2 version of the RD-6870 then use the links above. But if you want the short cage (SS) version or the mechanical version be careful as the parts vary between models.

Shimano Part Numbers for the 3 parts needed for the Medium cage (GS), Di2 RD-6870 are:

Y5YC225000 - Inner Plate
Y5YC98080 - Outer Plate
Y5YD98030 - Plate Axle Assembly

Whilst I can't personally confirm that these are all of the parts needed (as I haven't received them yet) I did call the technical helpline at SJS and was told that this was the case :smile:

Thanks for that
im running di2 ss at moment so just what i need

Top Bottom