Ultegra Jockey Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Anyone know if Shimano Ultegra 6600 jockey wheels are sealed ?
Have a regular squeaking ( like a wee birdies chirp ) from drive train and pretty sure it`s either derailleur wheels or chain. Ta for any info.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Answered my own question. It says "Sealed" on it. Don`t think sealed jockeys often present problems. Cleaning my chain after a ride today ( the bird chirping one ) noticed chain and jockey wheels very, very sticky almost chewing gum like to touch. The chain is new ( that was my 3rd outing on it ). Any ideas on this ?

Fattman

I have the same jockeys (oo-er) (?!)

I believe the top guide pulley has a sealed bearing, the bottom tension pulley is just a nylon-jockey-on-axle set-up (see here)

I have had fun in the past taking the whole assembly apart (admittedly with the previous Tiagra incarnation) and cleaning and greasing. It is dead easy to just unscrew the cage (and a slightly long-winded method of removing a chain) and have a good old fiddle about with a bit of grease.

I believe the stickiness is sometimes to be had from the factory goop they put on the chain; it provides almost mythical levels of lubrication within the pins/washers of the chain itself, which like the (now long-lost) pleasure of the first fag of the day is never to be attained again. Maybe you got one that had extra/excessive amounts of it on. That, or they mistook the 'chain lube' bottle for the 'chewing gum' bottle?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I always blob a bit of Finish Line grease on my 'old' Ultegra and DA jockies - both are sealed, with DA running ceramic bushes.

Squeeks are likely the chain, but I'd pull your jockey to bits and check - could be worn.

Top Bottom