Ultimate Commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BMC, Cannondale, Cube, Marin and Pinnacle all offer alfine hub gear bikes and all come with rubber drive belt except the Evans Pinnacle 8 which has a chain and drop bars.
BMC: no rack mounts, propriatory mudguard fitting
Cannondale: Lefty fork, no rack mounts, propiatory mudguard fitting.
Cube and Marin seem to have all the necessary standard fittings. Marin sliding dropouts look good.

Give this a read:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=100474

Not sure if this is an older version of the hub or not, but it's quite an interesting discussion nontheless
From that link:
"If you have such a hub best to lubricate it (often) with something that has corrosion inhibitors in it, something that is more mobile in the hub so will keep the seals wetted with lube better (I think the lip seal onto the driver can easily run dry otherwise).

My own red band N8 hub appears to be thriving courtesy of a lube port and shots of special semi-fluid grease, and others who do likewise (or just use gear oil) report good results too, so you know what to do...."

I use Wilco automatic transmission fluid in my hub and find it much improved over the original grease, esp in very cold conditions.

jamin100

Guru
My ultimate commuter is #LarryTheBeaterBike

single speed, tatty and cheap.
think it’s steel so it weighs a fair bit but, it can get me from A to B without me worrying about where I leave it locked up..

think the lights cost me more than the actual bike..
but it serves a purpose and for me, any bike that serves its purpose is the “ultimate”

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
For mechanical durability, minimal maintenance and good ride comfort it's hard to beat an old-school 3-speed light roadster with a Sturmey Archer hub and 26" x 1 3/8" tyres. They just do the job with no fuss at all. The last one I acquired cost me a quid, so cycling can't get much cheaper than that.

For mechanical durability, minimal maintenance and good ride comfort it's hard to beat an old-school 3-speed light roadster with a Sturmey Archer hub and 26" x 1 3/8" tyres. They just do the job with no fuss at all. The last one I acquired cost me a quid, so cycling can't get much cheaper than that.
An updated version of this pub/station/ university bike is with SA or Shimano 3 speed, dynohub lighting and modern solid tyres eg Tannus. Any good enough frame with horizontal dropouts will work.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Obviously no one bike will fit every journey in the UK.........BUT

I'm currently using a Ribble 7005 audax as my commuter, 25mm tyres (just!) full length mudguards and a rack.

It's a good solid commuter, but:

It struggles to take 25mm and I often get rubbing
Rim brakes don't seem like the best solution for year round commuting
Replacing Shimano 105 11 speed components seems to add up

So, I was considering what I'd like out of an "ultimate commuter"

I'm thinking:

1 - Possible hub gears? I'm in S. Manchester, so very flat, probably use 4-5 gears maximum - would have to be sealed hub as I've heard bad things about maintenance of unsealed hubs

2 - Full Mudguards

3 - Clearance to take 28mm + tyres

4 - Pannier rack

5 - Disc brakes

What am I missing, and does any bike fit the bill?
BMC, propriatory mudguard fitting
Cannondale: Lefty fork, no rack mounts, propiatory
FTFY
Proprietary

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Obviously no one bike will fit every journey in the UK.........BUT

I'm currently using a Ribble 7005 audax as my commuter, 25mm tyres (just!) full length mudguards and a rack.

It's a good solid commuter, but:

It struggles to take 25mm and I often get rubbing
Rim brakes don't seem like the best solution for year round commuting
Replacing Shimano 105 11 speed components seems to add up

So, I was considering what I'd like out of an "ultimate commuter"

I'm thinking:

1 - Possible hub gears? I'm in S. Manchester, so very flat, probably use 4-5 gears maximum - would have to be sealed hub as I've heard bad things about maintenance of unsealed hubs

2 - Full Mudguards

3 - Clearance to take 28mm + tyres

4 - Pannier rack

5 - Disc brakes

What am I missing, and does any bike fit the bill?
A Fixie is the best commuter :okay:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
My commute is lumpy, and my steed very similar to yours, albeit on a kinesis 4s frame set. I have no issues with rubbing. In hindsight I would probably have gone for 9 speed group set rather than 11, for spares costs, but other than that it's pretty much perfect.

But your commute is flat then a single speed has to be the choice I think, ideally in Ti, belt drive with discs. :smile:

Top Bottom