Umm, what now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mycroft

not quite "just back" from my north coast run, took a week, took my time and spent a day on Rathlin Island on one of the most amazing sunny days EVER.

had a brilliant time, discovered (as usual) a few things to do and not to do next time :smile: popped home and headed to Glasgow to see AC/DC! that was a long standing thing and had bulked up the stay to 4 days, REALLY missed my bike!!

the coast roads were brilliant and flat in comparison to here, have come to the sad realisation that where I live is a hilly dump!

the main thrust of getting back on the bike was to lose some weight, think I have made a start on this, have shifted a LOT of fluid (been suffering bad water retention since the chemo screwed with my body) so I'm pleased with that, but REALLY wanna shift the weight.

Any advice?

the thing is though that I don't want to go out for 20 plus miles* EVERY day without fail like its some "way of life" thing, yeah I realise I MIGHT get to that point, but I'm not there yet, and I don't want to force myself into that position.

the thing is I'm not sure where to go next with this? the way life is working out at the moment I may well end up having to go on my own, and I'm not sure I like the idea, with two or more, theres always someone to look after the bikes!

if there were somewhere with bugger all hills, or only a few here and there then I reckon I could easily get my daily miles WAAAY up.

what am I asking?

what next??

*20 miles might not sound much to you, but after a few days would kill me

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
From what I'm told - completely flat is tedious... that you have to pedal all the time and don't get breaks from the wind. (Sometimes it is nice to dream of though:smile:) From my point of view I'm sure hilly miles count as twice the number of flat ones:biggrin:.

Anyway pics of the tour?

As to your question - don't force yourself to go out of the bike - enjoy it.

andym

Über Member
Mycroft said:
the main thrust of getting back on the bike was to lose some weight, think I have made a start on this, have shifted a LOT of fluid (been suffering bad water retention since the chemo screwed with my body) so I'm pleased with that, but REALLY wanna shift the weight.

Any advice?

the thing is though that I don't want to go out for 20 plus miles* EVERY day without fail like its some "way of life" thing, yeah I realise I MIGHT get to that point, but I'm not there yet, and I don't want to force myself into that position.

the thing is I'm not sure where to go next with this? the way life is working out at the moment I may well end up having to go on my own, and I'm not sure I like the idea, with two or more, theres always someone to look after the bikes!

if there were somewhere with bugger all hills, or only a few here and there then I reckon I could easily get my daily miles WAAAY up.

what am I asking?

what next??

*20 miles might not sound much to you, but after a few days would kill me

Good for you. I'm just getting back into things after chemo and a stem cell transplant. (Though I came out of the process having lost a lot of weight - I now have to carry more food with me as I don't have the fat reserves to draw on so I eat like I've got a tapeworm).

Why not just plan another trip? And then if you enjoy that, another.

Don't try to rush things. And (if you haven't) talk to your doctors about the water retention.

Travelling on your own has its advantages. You can go as fast as you want, stop where you want, listen to the birds singing etc etc. But alternatively if you want company join the CTC or a cycling club near you (at least some have rides aimed at leisure riders).

Flat is all well and good but you don't have the the sense of achievement and anticipation as you near the top of a climb - or the fast cruise down the other side.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Mycroft said:
the coast roads were brilliant and flat in comparison to here, have come to the sad realisation that where I live is a hilly dump!

I have stayed a few years near Ballycastle, and those roads are far from flat.

Unless you live in Nepal, that is?

Top Bottom