Unable to adjust rear derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

I've tweaked the H limit scree a bit. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I've adjusted the B screw a bit too and seems to have solved the problem. I've taken the bike for a spin and was working fine but then towards the end of the ride I heard these weird noises when I changed to the bigger sprockets. But now it's dark and don't know what the problem might be... Will have a look again tomorrow.
rolleyes.gif

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I've tweaked the H limit scree a bit. Doesn't seem to make a difference. I've adjusted the B screw a bit too and seems to have solved the problem. I've taken the bike for a spin and was working fine but then towards the end of the ride I heard these weird noises when I changed to the bigger sprockets. But now it's dark and don't know what the problem might be... Will have a look again tomorrow.
rolleyes.gif

Great news that you have solved the major problem :smile:

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

Okay so I tried everything that was suggested here (thanks everyone) and I couldn't make it work properly... so I ended up taking it to the LBS... I've just collected it but I couldn't speak with the mechanic but still it doesn't work 100%. Basically shifter doesn't dial into position number 1 and derailleur doesn't return to small sprocket (9 speed, 11-34 T). I'm flabbergasted...
wacko.gif
The guy who was not the mechanic told me he didn't know the details but that they couldn't make it work in any other way... So i will have to come back again tomorrow and talk to the mechanic.

I've googled SRam Dualdrive with X9 derailleur and this has been done so it's not a compatibility problem. Also the Dualdrive branded derailleur is short cage, just like the X9. I'm just wondering... this black pastic washer tab that comes with the X9 derailleur, have I got it right? Please have a look at the image. I couldn't be certain from looking at the technical diagrams whether I had this right or not... Maybe this is what's causing the derailleur not to return to the small sprocket... What else could be wrong with it?
sad.gif

Any insights into this mystery would be greatly appreciated.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6184/6124710288_59215b5769_b.jpg

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
While this might not solve your problem, it might make you less frustrated.

Since srams are all top normal, one thing to establish, if it can't go into top, is whether it will with the cable unclamped with the H screw backed right off. If it can, then it is probably excessive cable tension/friction or mech friction. If it can't it could be frame/hanger/fixing bolt issue if your mech is new/undamaged.

OP
OP
jorgemartin

jorgemartin

I narrowed the causes down to too much cable friction and a mangled end cap. I re-greased cable and replaced the cap and the problem was solved. Runs smoothly now. Thanks everyone!
rolleyes.gif

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I narrowed the causes down to too much cable friction and a mangled end cap. I re-greased cable and replaced the cap and the problem was solved. Runs smoothly now. Thanks everyone!
rolleyes.gif

Congratulations. Feels great to resolve a problem such as that doesn't it :biggrin:

Fiona N

Veteran
Is the derailleur getting fouled on the big sprocket - can happen if the deraiileur/top jockey wheel is set too close to the sprockets. Just needs a bit of adjustment of the so-called B-screw (the one that sticks out of the back of the derailleur and pushes the derailleur against the drop-out).

Oops - missed you last posts :smile:

Top Bottom