Understanding heart rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
those formulas suggest that my MHR is between 7 - 20bpm lower than it actually is. What makes you think it will be any more accurate in your case?

If you ride mainly for leisure/fitness/weight loss and you are 'not obsessive' then you don't need to wear an HRM.

If you're riding for fitness/weightloss it can be a huge motivation to track your progress, particularly with strava. It's helped me loose all my weight this last year.

you may be right - but that's not to say you wouldn't have lost the weight without the HRM though.. ;)

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
monitoring is a very good motivational tool in my experience. Using a HRM is just another tool, not essential but adds a little mor einterest than just looking at miles and time

That MHR may not be accurate but i guess its good enough guide for my needs. If i wanted one more accurate how would i go about it?

MattHB

Proud Daddy
monitoring is a very good motivational tool in my experience. Using a HRM is just another tool, not essential but adds a little mor einterest than just looking at miles and time

That MHR may not be accurate but i guess its good enough guide for my needs. If i wanted one more accurate how would i go about it?

http://www.cycling-inform.com/heart-rate-training/72-how-to-test-for-your-cycling-max-heart-rate

This is quite a good article, but be careful doing it. Always worries me the thought of doing this alone!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I do not know why, but always makes me nervous people advising someone they do not know nor know any medical history, general fitness etc to take their body to its absoulte 100% max. Doctors using full on medical equipment 12 leads etc when doing a general heart stress test will not take you to 100%...

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I do not know why, but always makes me nervous people advising someone they do not know nor know any medical history, general fitness etc to take their body to its absoulte 100% max. Doctors using full on medical equipment 12 leads etc when doing a general heart stress test will not take you to 100%...

I don't see anyone advising anyone. I see people answering the OP's questions.

ayceejay

Guru
You should not ignore your thyroid problem, the medication and any side effects that may occur, this means that your heart rate training will not be 'off the peg'. Another thing, and I don't want you to feel inadequate about your 800 mies again, but that mileage would probably be a minimum of base miles before you consider anything more advanced.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You should not ignore your thyroid problem, the medication and any side effects that may occur, this means that your heart rate training will not be 'off the peg'. Another thing, and I don't want you to feel inadequate about your 800 mies again, but that mileage would probably be a minimum of base miles before you consider anything more advanced.

I agree, people are way to keen to advance to high intensity training without building a proper base 1st. Ride a few thousand steady base miles then start thinking about "training".

Nothing wrong with monitoring HR on base miles though.

That's rubbish. Athletes in all kinds of sports at all levels regularly hit their MHR as a matter of course. It goes without saying that if you have a heart condition or are otherwise untrained, then you might want to seek a medical opinion first.

I've used a HR monitor for 3000 miles or so and have noticed big changes over time.

My HR and breathing rate used to max out together ... i couldn't get enough air in and my heart would be clocking 170+
Now my heart can be 170+ without gasping for air = my lungs have obviously become more efficient at absorbing the available
oxygen in every breath. (I also do not "notice" my heart is racing, due to the fact i'm not gasping anymore).
My first-thing-in-the-morning heart rate has decreased from 70 waaay down to 52 = heart is more efficient.

Sometimes i'll put in a fast 30 miler (average HR 160-170) and see a raised resting HR the next day, if this is the case i won't
go out on the bike. (Listen to your body).

I agree with the comment of putting a couple of thousand base miles in first, i've done this and have only just (this weekend) fitted
clipless pedals to my three bikes, because i now feel i'm ready to start racing.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
That's rubbish. Athletes in all kinds of sports at all levels regularly hit their MHR as a matter of course. It goes without saying that if you have a heart condition or are otherwise untrained, then you might want to seek a medical opinion first.
Which part is rubbish? A heart stress test done for medical reasons will not take you to 100%? To tell someone on meds for an under active thyroid and 800 miles in 10 months under his belt to max out his heart rate is sound advice?

Just to let you know I agree with you (bold), and that was exactly what I meant, and yours was the first post with that in it...

Which part is rubbish? A heart stress test done for medical reasons will not take you to 100%? To tell someone on meds for an under active thyroid and 800 miles in 10 months under his belt to max out his heart rate is sound advice?

Just to let you know I agree with you (bold), and that was exactly what I meant, and yours was the first post with that in it...

Providing you are generally healthy, there is no inherent danger in 'maxing out' your HR, regardless of your actual level of fitness. An untrained, but otherwise healthy commuter could max out their HR while running for a bus, or running up several flights of stairs, so I don't see a particular issue in trying it after 'only' 800 miles of riding - he's probably done it already.

I think i've read that maxxing your heart out over seriously long periods of time can cause micro-tears in the heart muscle (rather much like
what goes on in your leg muscles). Too many of these tears can turn into scar tissue which doesn't move the same way as normal heart muscle.

I wouldn't worry as our inbuilt systems soon kick in and say "whoaaa" if you're overdoing it.

On the other hand, someone popping pills to cheat in a race would override things.......

Top Bottom