Understanding heart rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enw.nigel

Thanks Mr Jamie for your comment on the positioning of the HRM transmitter after the posts that went before you. I raised the transmitter slightly so that it sat directly under my pecs and went out on a 24 miler which I last did on 26th October and have to say the HRM results are remarkably similar. MHR 208 (211 previously) and Average HR 143 on both occasions.
I took Arsen Gere's advice and monitored my HR more closely and this is what I found.
1. Mostly my HR is between 120 - 135 BPM and I can control it so that it rises/drops in single increments.
2. When my legs start working hard my HR reading rises above 140 and then jumps in large increments 140 to 156 to 169 and upwards. There is no smooth transition and continues erratically jumping/dropping by 3,4,5 BPM.
I tried this on different sections of the ride by increasing my HR until it read 139 BPM with no problem at all but as soon as I increased my effort and my HR rose above 140 it would jump straight into the 150's and next into the 160's and 170's.
I assume the contact with my skin is OK because the majority of the time my readings are below 130 BPM which seems OK to me. I am in the same riding position (still in the saddle) when they become erratic above 140 bpm so the contacts must still be working fine.
Is this a transmitter problem, a Garmin 305 problem {I bought both second hand) or is there something else that I am missing?
I have done a reset on the Garmin but that didn't make any difference.
Any other advice please?

BSRU

A Human Being
Thanks Mr Jamie for your comment on the positioning of the HRM transmitter after the posts that went before you. I raised the transmitter slightly so that it sat directly under my pecs and went out on a 24 miler which I last did on 26th October and have to say the HRM results are remarkably similar. MHR 208 (211 previously) and Average HR 143 on both occasions.
I took Arsen Gere's advice and monitored my HR more closely and this is what I found.
1. Mostly my HR is between 120 - 135 BPM and I can control it so that it rises/drops in single increments.
2. When my legs start working hard my HR reading rises above 140 and then jumps in large increments 140 to 156 to 169 and upwards. There is no smooth transition and continues erratically jumping/dropping by 3,4,5 BPM.
I tried this on different sections of the ride by increasing my HR until it read 139 BPM with no problem at all but as soon as I increased my effort and my HR rose above 140 it would jump straight into the 150's and next into the 160's and 170's.
I assume the contact with my skin is OK because the majority of the time my readings are below 130 BPM which seems OK to me. I am in the same riding position (still in the saddle) when they become erratic above 140 bpm so the contacts must still be working fine.
Is this a transmitter problem, a Garmin 305 problem {I bought both second hand) or is there something else that I am missing?
Any other advice please?
Is is a new battery in the transmitter?

An interesting thing to watch is how fast it drops when you stop at lights for a minute or three and of course once you finished the ride.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Any other advice please?
As silly as it sounds your cycling kit could be generating static and messing up the sensor. Its not meant to be that uncommon for runners where a technical shirt rubs against the strap. Maybe do a test run in completely different clothes. :smile:

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Is there anyone else in Swindon who could lend you a device/strap to validate your findings. It could be used to eliminate a faulty strap or device if that is the case. If they both turn out be correct then there are other things to consider but you need to know if it is a device/clothing/positioning fault. There will be a club in your area and I am sure a member would help out. Tri clubs are a good point for contacts too. Is there a local gym/hotel that has bikes with HRM's ?

BSRU

A Human Being
Is there anyone else in Swindon who could lend you a device/strap to validate your findings. It could be used to eliminate a faulty strap or device if that is the case. If they both turn out be correct then there are other things to consider but you need to know if it is a device/clothing/positioning fault. There will be a club in your area and I am sure a member would help out. Tri clubs are a good point for contacts too. Is there a local gym/hotel that has bikes with HRM's ?
Do you mean Cardiff?

Any other advice please?

Just to be clear - when your HR rises, is there a corresponding increase in your effort level and breathing rate..? If those readings appear to be genuine (ie you are not wearing your chest strap around your waist, or something), then it might be worth booking in for an ECG...

Enw.nigel

Cardiff it is. I'll take Mr Jamie's advice and wear a merino baselayer next time out instead of a synthetic one.
A mate of mine who is a marathon runner has a HRM/watch (don't know the make) so I am going to try his out or he can try mine or both and see what the readings are like then.
BSRU - I did put a new battery in the transmitter after the first high reading.
I will also try wearing with the transmitter on my back as has been suggested as well.
I've got to get this sorted as I can't stand it when a function on any appliance is not working as it should do.
Thanks for the quick replies.
Merino base layer next. If still a problem I'll brave the cold mid ride and move the transmitter to my back. Watch this space.

Enw.nigel

Just to be clear - when your HR rises, is there a corresponding increase in your effort level and breathing rate..? If those readings appear to be genuine (ie you are not wearing your chest strap around your waist, or something), then it might be worth booking in for an ECG...
The chest strap is being worn correctly and yes my heart rate reading becomes erratic above 140 BPM when there is an increase in effort and breathing rate. I would not say that I am breathless though.
If I find my HR is still erratic after swapping HRM's then I will be taking your advice and visit the doctor with a view to an ECG

Enw.nigel

Is it getting to over 200 smoothly and taking a little while to drop back down after, or is your HR graph on garmin connect very spikey/jagged?
It is not getting to 200 smoothly. Nice single increments up to 140 BPM but big jumps after that. Hence my HR graph is spikey/jagged. I'll try and work out how to attach it to a post.

Colin S

Über Member
Can you get someone else to try it and see it the problem re-occurs. I can't see how this will be a physiological issue as the heart won't jump beating rates so very prob a monitor problem.

Colin

I can't see how this will be a physiological issue as the heart won't jump beating rates so very prob a monitor problem.

Colin

HRMs do not work like rev counters - they do not track every single beat in real time - which is why it is possible to see big jumps in heart rates.

HRMs do not work like rev counters - they do not track every single beat in real time - which is why it is possible to see big jumps in heart rates.

rubbish

1. rev counters do not track every single rev - merely give an average over a short period of time
  2. hrm are the same - typically visual read out every second - recorded every 5 secs or so
  3. big jumps in heart rate while engaging in relatively steady state exercise do not happen -even at a max all out effort there will be a progressive rise of hrt with a corresponding progressive fall on recovery
so no big jumps

rubbish

1. rev counters do not track every single rev - merely give an average over a short period of time
  2. hrm are the same - typically visual read out every second - recorded every 5 secs or so
  3. big jumps in heart rate while engaging in relatively steady state exercise do not happen -even at a max all out effort there will be a progressive rise of hrt with a corresponding progressive fall on recovery
so no big jumps

Sorry, it's not rubbish. Tachometers are driven by either a rotating cable or from an ECU pulse, so in effect do give a real time output, not an average. HRM readings are effectively averaged and recalculated every few seconds - within which time it would be quite reasonable for your heart rate to rise - which is also why you will probably never see it rise incrementally..

400bhp

Guru
I,ve recently bought a second hand Garmin 305 with the intention of improving my fitness by monitoring my training zones. However, I am having problems accepting my MHR of 222. My resting heart rate over 3 measurements has been 51, 52 and 53 which seems quite acceptable. My MHR over 4 rides has been 222, 211, 206 and 214 which seems extremely high. Average BPM,s have been 145, 143, 139, and 142. These rides were 3x30miles and one of 24 miles.
My age is 63 so using any formulae my MHR should be between 159-166. I have been cycling for decades so have a reasonable level of cycling fitness. Now to my question is - how tight should I have the transmitter strapped around my body. Is there a too tight or too loose fitting which could affect the MHR reading? I have replaced the battery in case that was the problem but I am still getting 200BPM plus.
I cannot work on training zones until I verify my MHR.
Any suggestions besides a visit to the doctor in case these readings are accurate. I've succeeded in worrying myself now.

Did you used to be pretty fit and have got much less fit now?

Top Bottom