Understanding heart rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
I had a ride this morning, not particularly quick, just an easy 23 miles ride down the local cycle tracks.

I used my HRM, I've no idea what to make of the results of these, my garmin connect tells me I averaged 68% of my maximum and maxed at 80% of my maximum, what does this mean? What should I aim for?

Heart rates is just a way of looking at how you train. I used to wear a HRM when I first started training as I didnt know how much effort I was putting in the exercise. After a few months I started to predict my HR and understanding my body better to point where now I dont use it anymore as I am able to tell by myself if I am working hard or not.

The different rates or zones tell you what part of your system your are using, so for example if you are looking at weight loss then you would look at working at an aerobic zone this is generally 70 to 80% of your max rate. On the other hand if you want to train for strength then you would work out in anaerobic zones 80 to 90% of your max rate. You would not usually train at a higher rate than 90% for prolonged periods.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i seem to average 70% ish and im looking to get fit, lose a little weight but mainly enjoy cycling. understanding hrm and other things just adds a bit of knowledge and enjoyment to the rude, and something else to look at afterwards!
thanks

MattHB

Proud Daddy
HRMs are a good way to measure your progress as well. Averages over the same or similar rides can be compared. I also use that to tailor my training.. If I'm higher than I know I should be then I know I've not recovered properly so work in an easy week.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
im always a little skeptical over my heart rate. I take levothyroine for an underactive thyroid, it directly affects my heart rate, saying that ive been on a steady amount for some time now so my heart rate should be quite regular so comparing rides should be accurate, ill start looking at that when i have enough data to consider
my heart rate seems to average around 120 bpm. i have noticed if i train very hard and push my heart rate right up even if the ride is short it really tires me out and can take some time to recover

I had a ride this morning, not particularly quick, just an easy 23 miles ride down the local cycle tracks.

I used my HRM, I've no idea what to make of the results of these, my garmin connect tells me I averaged 68% of my maximum and maxed at 80% of my maximum, what does this mean? What should I aim for?

unless you know:

a) your true max HR and
b) why you are riding at whatever % you are riding at

then none of it will mean anything - it's just numbers on a screen. As for what you should aim for - that would depend on what your training goals are. And if you don't actually have any training goals, then leave the HRM at home and just enjoy the ride.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Genuine question... how much do max heart rates vary? I know people say not to use the 220-age formula, but how far out is it likely to be, wildy or just a bit inaccurate?

Genuine question... how much do max heart rates vary? I know people say not to use the 220-age formula, but how far out is it likely to be, wildy or just a bit inaccurate?

In my case, the 220-age calculation is 15bpm below the figure I'm currently using (which is the highest number I've seen on my HRM during a MHR test). MHR varies between individuals at any age. In some cases, it's possible that the 220-age number could be spot on, but the potential variance is too wide just to assume - which is why if you are serious about HR training, you will test your own MHR, rather than use the 220 number.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
how do you test your true MHR?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Just checked and my highest recorded is 170

presuming my MHR to be 180, what should i aim to ride at?
Mainly for leisure
Also for fitness and a bit of weight loss
And as always to get better, but im no obsessive about it

Top Bottom