Understanding heart rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I just got a Garmin Forerunner (watch), because my smartphone battery isnt really up to longer runs/rides which also means I can track heartrate properly. I tried it on a run today and it said my average heart rate over one hour was 178bpm and peak at 194 as I sprinted the last 50 metres which I think is near to max HR, that's on a fairly typical training run. It's got me wondering if it might be too high and doing me damage rather than improving my fitness though. :ohmy:

I haven't tried it cycling yet, but I guess the science is the roughly the same.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
thanks everyone, very interesting reading all the comments
i enjoy using the hrm as an extra bit of data to look at, if it means anything at all, if i can make sense of it etc. then all the better, if not it doesnt stop me enjoying my ride so i will continue, maybe in 12 months time i can see if theres been any significant difference

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I remember doing a MHR test when I was a young rower on an ergo, promptly threw up at the end and felt dreadful for at least a day after. MHR tests are a cruel torture device cooked up by heartless sports quacks.

Enw.nigel

I,ve recently bought a second hand Garmin 305 with the intention of improving my fitness by monitoring my training zones. However, I am having problems accepting my MHR of 222. My resting heart rate over 3 measurements has been 51, 52 and 53 which seems quite acceptable. My MHR over 4 rides has been 222, 211, 206 and 214 which seems extremely high. Average BPM,s have been 145, 143, 139, and 142. These rides were 3x30miles and one of 24 miles.
My age is 63 so using any formulae my MHR should be between 159-166. I have been cycling for decades so have a reasonable level of cycling fitness. Now to my question is - how tight should I have the transmitter strapped around my body. Is there a too tight or too loose fitting which could affect the MHR reading? I have replaced the battery in case that was the problem but I am still getting 200BPM plus.
I cannot work on training zones until I verify my MHR.
Any suggestions besides a visit to the doctor in case these readings are accurate. I've succeeded in worrying myself now.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
The tightness is not that important as long as it does not drop down. It should sit under your chest muscles on your ribs with good contact. ie not too hairy. If you make the contacts on the strip damp, sweat or spit will do, you should get good results. To me 222 for a 63 year old sounds way too high. Also this cold weather can reduce the sensitivity of these things.
What I would do is try and warm up for 10 to 15 minutes and keep an eye on what it says. Look for it responding to load. So that when you start to get out of breath see that it goes up in small amounts as you start to increase your effort. If it skips about it's down to the cold, the contact etc.If you can control it so you can make it go up and down at will then I'd say it was telling the truth.
FWIW at 52 my max is around 164, determined on a hill run not a bike.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
One other point a lot of modern literature talks about working heart rate based on the point you start to go lactic or V02 Max rather than HR max. I have no strong opinion on this.

Enw.nigel

Thanks for the reply Arsen Gere. I always wet the contacts with saliva. My positioning though is under the rib cage as I couldn't get a reading over the ribcage. Will try again tomorrow with the positioning as you suggest. Before I hit the hill where my reading goes 200+ I have warmed up with about 40 mins of undulating cycling.
Going to try a 3 hill route tomorrow to test my MHR reading further and will check that the reading is increasing by small increments.

Thanks for the reply Arsen Gere. I always wet the contacts with saliva. My positioning though is under the rib cage as I couldn't get a reading over the ribcage. Will try again tomorrow with the positioning as you suggest. Before I hit the hill where my reading goes 200+ I have warmed up with about 40 mins of undulating cycling.
Going to try a 3 hill route tomorrow to test my MHR reading further and will check that the reading is increasing by small increments.

'under the rib cage' is pretty much around your stomach - which is (as any medical student will tell you) not where your heart is.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Is it getting to over 200 smoothly and taking a little while to drop back down after, or is your HR graph on garmin connect very spikey/jagged?

Is it getting to over 200 smoothly and taking a little while to drop back down after, or is your HR graph on garmin connect very spikey/jagged?

he is wearing his HRM strap around his gut - any further discussion on erroneous readings is pointless until he wears it correctly.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
he is wearing his HRM strap around his gut - any further dicsussion on erroneous readings is pointless until he wears it correctly.
I have a feeling he means just under his sternum rather than below his ribcage around his waist, but we'll have to wait and see. :smile: My Garmin HRM just stops if its positioned too high or low.

Top Bottom