Unusual wildlife encounters whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
A crane, flying less than two foot of the ground. A slight movement of its wings to get it over a fence, then down and over the road.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Had a pheasant launch from a verge as I was passing at speed - I virtually touched the bars with my chin as i ducked and it just cleared my head.

Also had a red kite attempt to land in front of me as I was descending on a bridleway with hedges either side - they are blooming huge close up and fortunately it saw me and pulled up as I stood the bike on its nose.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The usual here - deer, badgers etc, although in winter I often get owls flying in my light beam.

It's not an unusual animal but I had an odd nearly-off with a pheasant yesterday. I was rolling downhill on a very narrow country lane and, unseen by me, a lady pheasant was sunning herself right in the stony verge. Just as I rattled past, mrs pheasant bottled it and took flight. As well as the whatthefeckisthattwofeetfrommywheel!!!! moment, its wings flicked an unbelievable amount of stony, dusty sh1te right into my face and mouth. I kept just about enough awareness to stay upright and stop, but spent the next ten minutes crying and spitting flint out of my gob. Horrible.
It must have been very unpheasant for you.

shagggy

On a 5am ride last week, I had to swerve to avoid something large in the middle of a junction - turned out it was a swan which had been run over :sad:

Top Bottom