Upgrading groupset Dura Ace to Tiagra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I want to upgrade the groupset on my road bike. I heard the benefits are the chain and cassette last longer, are cheaper to replace when the time comes, and it's got a nicer agricultural feel when changing gears. It's a little heavier therefore bound to be "stronger". Besides, everyone tells me it's not about the weight so that's of no concern. It's also a lot cheaper too so what's not to like!

:smile:

alicat

Legendary Member
Which thread have I missed, @mustang1?

I might have the wrong end of the stick here but was wondering if Dura Ace gruppo might cost more than frame is worth? Maybe go Ultegra and save a few bob, although i went from Tiagra 10 sp to Ultegra 11 sp last year and didnt notice much shifting difference?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you want low running costs, go for a 6 x3 hybrid/MTB style transmission with a basic steel ring/alloy crankarm chainset.
I'm pretty sure all my old stuff from the late 80's and early 90's are still on their factory-fitted transmissions.
As for rear sprocket & chainring lifespans, I'm not intending to replace anything until the chain actually starts to skip. Then I'll consider it worn out.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The OP makes a couple of wrong assumptions. A cheaper groupset will be heavier because it's made from lower grade, cheaper alloys. For that reason it will probably wear out faster than a more expensive groupset.

I think it was Keith Bontrager who said you can have cheap, light and strong but only two of those qualities at any one time.

rivers

How far can I go?
I want to upgrade the groupset on my road bike. I heard the benefits are the chain and cassette last longer, are cheaper to replace when the time comes, and it's got a nicer agricultural feel when changing gears. It's a little heavier therefore bound to be "stronger". Besides, everyone tells me it's not about the weight so that's of no concern. It's also a lot cheaper too so what's not to like!

:smile:

Is it 11 speed dura-ace? If so, I'll trade you for 105 ^_^

dodgy

The OP makes a couple of wrong assumptions. A cheaper groupset will be heavier because it's made from lower grade, cheaper alloys. For that reason it will probably wear out faster than a more expensive groupset.

I think it was Keith Bontrager who said you can have cheap, light and strong but only two of those qualities at any one time.
Either that or he's having a bit of a laugh, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Top Bottom