Upgrading H handlebar to JC with extender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CEBEP

I noticed that I’m more comfortable with straight riding position. So I’ve upgraded my M model to H. M handlebar seemed not wide enough and I wanted:

a) a little wider handlebar
b) have back sweep for more ergonomic position of my wrists

The only choice I came up with to match the stock M handlebar rise was JC mid rise (71.5mm) and Satori extender (50mm). In theory it should’ve given 121.5mm rise which was about the same with 130mm rise of stock M bar. After installation today I noticed it wasn’t the case and some of the cables seemed to become short. Still I test ride it today and was pleased with a little higher riding position. My head was upright, neck more comfortable.

Update: JC midrise handlebar rise value of 71mm on JC website was incorrect. I understood it checking listing of the same item on SJS website which reads the rise to be 100mm. Now it all make sense.

Final result. Adding Satori extender (50mm) and JC midrise handlebar (100mm) will provide 150mm rise compared to 130mm rise of stock handlebar, so you will have about 20mm higher rise and 12 degrees back sweep. It

H stem will allow to clear the fold if handlebar is cut to 55cm width using markings on the handlebar. NO cables changes will be required.

48D5D020-1549-4E83-B634-BB20B9D86715.jpeg

E0F96A78-815E-4EB0-BEF5-434ACBBF8117.jpeg

186B5DEB-CEA4-48C9-907E-186D711B5F61.jpeg

DD18BEC3-3F7C-4236-9FE7-F1180DC46273.jpeg

5E613E1F-FCBA-4FFD-B54D-36DCB4DB9240.jpeg

Last edited:

Schwinnsta

Do you have issues with the bars hitting the floor when you fold it?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If 7cm higher handlebar is an acceptable value I’d like to keep using it as I feel more comfortable.
surely this is your answer do what is comfortable for you, without compromising the fold.

"acceptable" to whom? there aren't brompton police who will shoot you for changing the handlebar height:laugh:

I would hate it, I'm an S Type lover, but everyone else's preference is irrelevant to you

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

surely this is your answer do what is comfortable for you, without compromising the fold.

"acceptable" to whom? there aren't brompton police who will shoot you for changing the handlebar height:laugh:

I would hate it, I'm an S Type lover, but everyone else's preference is irrelevant to you

You are right, of course it’s all subjective.

Let me explain what I meant. What I meant is afaik if handlebar is too high above the seatpost, it may bring more weight on the lower back and not use back muscles which may result in back pain? That’s what I meant asking if 7cm hight difference is fine.

Kell

Veteran
I think the stuff that @berlinonaut sent from his friend (I don't remember her name now) recommended no more than 10cm higher. But crucially, from reading the PDF I took that your arms should be at 90 degrees with your body.

It's all very subjective - by which I mean there's no one rule that says if you're this tall, this is how you should set up your bike. And it's easy enough to ride a badly fitting bike short distances. It's only very frequent use or longer distances where problems will be noticeable.

I often see people with their seats way too low for instance*. Which means their knees splay out to the sides. May not cause an issue on a 1 mile pootle to the shops, but you're going to run into problems with your knees over a 100 mile hilly course.

*My wife is one of those people. She feels unsafe if she can't reach the ground while seated. The Brompton has a relatively low BB height, so I can touch my toes down for stability when stopped at lights on that, but I can't do the same on my MTB.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I think the stuff that @berlinonaut sent from his friend (I don't remember her name now) recommended no more than 10cm higher. But crucially, from reading the PDF I took that your arms should be at 90 degrees with your body.

It's all very subjective - by which I mean there's no one rule that says if you're this tall, this is how you should set up your bike. And it's easy enough to ride a badly fitting bike short distances. It's only very frequent use or longer distances where problems will be noticeable.

I often see people with their seats way too low for instance*. Which means their knees splay out to the sides. May not cause an issue on a 1 mile pootle to the shops, but you're going to run into problems with your knees over a 100 mile hilly course.

*My wife is one of those people. She feels unsafe if she can't reach the ground while seated. The Brompton has a relatively low BB height, so I can touch my toes down for stability when stopped at lights on that, but I can't do the same on my MTB.

There’s a new local traffic light junction with a dedicated cycle path running parallel to the road. They’ve fitted stands with arm and foot rests so you can lean against them while waiting for the lights to change in your favour

shingwell

You will soon find out the hard way if it is not right for you, and if that turns out to be the case, you can adjust things.

I have found as I get older, I need a more upright position to avoid a cricked neck. And as roads have got busier over the years, I prefer to see what is heading towards me. I like to be responsible for my own safety, not rely on other people to drive sensibly, because non-bike riders often don't. (I think riding a bike on roads should be part of the driving test, but that's another topic...)

I am also a tiptoe-on-ground person, again for my own safety. You don't want a wobble as you come to a stop just as a car is passing too closely.

Top Bottom